Hibernation Problems

Allan Turner

When I want to set my computer to hibernate (Windows XP
Professional), it comes up with:

"The device driver for the 'Standard 101/102-Key or
Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard' device is preventing the
machine from entering hibernation. Please close all
applications and try again. If the problem persists, you
may need to update this driver"

The problem does persist and the driver is fine. It
worked before but I don't know what has happened to make
it react this way. Could anyone help please?

Tony Lisanti

Might this be an older keyboard? Maybe the first Generation Natural
Keyboards? Hibernating isn't that big of a deal. Some systems refuse
to wake from it, and it may be more harm then good

Tony

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Allan,
There is probably a filter driver that is hooking the keyboard driver.
So it's really the filter driver that is preventing hibernating but the
keyboard driver is doing the reporting.
Click " Start", and then click "Run".
In the "Open" box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and
then click "OK".
Click the remote computer name, and then open the registry of the
remote computer.
In the registry of the remote computer, locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325
-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, look at the " UpperFilters " and "lowerfilters" value.
What are under those values? Do not just remove them since this affects
whether the keyboard might work or not.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Darrell,

This is also exactly the problem I have currently. This started when I used the Windows XP CD to effect a repair. It caused my IR port and hibernation to stop working. I fixed my IR port by uninstalling and letting the hardware wizard reinstall. I tried the same trick with the keyboard but this didn't work.

I have looked in the registry as you asked Allan to do and find only "kbdclass" under UpperFilters. There is no LowerFilters.

What next?
Thanks
Stuart Cooney

From: "Allan Turner" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Allan Turner" <[email protected]>
Subject: Hibernation Problems
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:12:50 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

When I want to set my computer to hibernate (Windows XP
Professional), it comes up with:

"The device driver for the 'Standard 101/102-Key or
Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard' device is preventing the
machine from entering hibernation. Please close all
applications and try again. If the problem persists, you
may need to update this driver"

The problem does persist and the driver is fine. It
worked before but I don't know what has happened to make
it react this way. Could anyone help please?

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Stuart,
This can also be an application that is hooking the keyboard driver. So
the application could be preventing the keyboard from shutting down, but
the keyboard driver is reporting back to the system that it cannot shut
down.
Use MSConfig and see what is loaded?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Allan Turner" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Allan Turner" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:12:50 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

When I want to set my computer to hibernate (Windows XP
Professional), it comes up with:

"The device driver for the 'Standard 101/102-Key or
Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard' device is preventing the
machine from entering hibernation. Please close all
applications and try again. If the problem persists, you
may need to update this driver"

The problem does persist and the driver is fine. It
worked before but I don't know what has happened to make
it react this way. Could anyone help please?

Darrell,
I have looked into msconfig and slowly working through the list. I have disabled everything in the run section that is not IBM Thinkpad related - no joy.
Next I started on the services and disabling them one at a time if they are not critical - I am using google to help me there with explanations of each service but still no joy so far.
I am now looking at unsigned drivers and disabling these to try and track it down.
Is there an easier way or is it just trial and error as I am doing?
--
Stuart Cooney