Hibernate wakes self

Bob Seeley

My problem is that Hibernate wakes up all by itself after
about 30 minutes. I don't know how to get it to stay
hibernated.
I tried searching the MS knowledge base but found nothing
that addresses this particular problem.
Any help you might have will be most appreciated.

Bob,

Try disabling the rest of the Power Management settings (Control Panel)
Check you background applications, Scheduler, network card settings...

Good Luck!

Bob Seeley

I'll check that out. Thanks for the reply.
Try disabling the rest of the Power Management settings (Control Panel)
Check you background applications, Scheduler, network card settings...

Good Luck!

-----------------------
Low-Trans Fat and Low-Carb Diet for Your PC or
How to optimize Windows XP for the best performance:

http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindows.htm

.

*Vanguard*

Bob Seeley said in news:[email protected]:
My problem is that Hibernate wakes up all by itself after
about 30 minutes. I don't know how to get it to stay
hibernated.
I tried searching the MS knowledge base but found nothing
that addresses this particular problem.
Any help you might have will be most appreciated.

I was having problems trying to figure out why my system would power up
after powering down for a hibernate. I checked the BIOS settings to
ensure there were no WakeUp events enabled and that the timer (RTC
Alert) was disabled (so the system doesn't wake up at a specified time).
I checked the devices in Device Manager to ensure that none had an
advanced power option that let the device wakeup the system. For the
network card, I looked at its advanced properties and disabled the
WakeUpLAN function. Although the OS isn't running at the time,
apparently this setting performed by software can configure the NIC
hardware to wakeup. My system would still wake from hibernate mode.

Turns out that some of the tasks defined in Task Scheduler have the
"Wake the computer" option enabled. I thought this was to wake the OS
when it was in Standby mode to make sure the task would run at the
scheduled time. However, if you click the "?" icon in the titlebar and
then click on this option, it says it will wake the computer from the
Sleep mode. Well, Sleep mode is hibernate mode. I have tested for only
1 night so far with the "Wake the computer" option disabled for all
scheduled tasks. The computer was NOT found powered up the next morning
so it worked so far. It'll be a few nights before I can be sure that
this was the cause for the computer powering up after getting put into
hibernate mode.

Bob Seeley

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I opened up
Task Scheduler and found and old task still in there. It
never got executed because the program no longer exists.
Wht Diskdoctor didn't catch that, I don't know, but anyway
I deleted that task and put my computer into hibernate.
After 30 minutes it was still in hibernation, so it looks
promising. Won't know for sure until tomorrow morning.
Thanks for the information, and I hope this helps someone
else in the future also.

Bob Seeley

Yep. That was it. Thanks for your help.

--
*** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

.

Nobody Special

It was an old item in the scheduler. Thanks for your reply.