hi trying to get connectin specific dns to work and failing

Reaction score
Hi All

Just been playing with my home lan and i have a question. I have a notebook with a wireless nic and a wired nic. I want the notebook when connected to the lan via the wireless nic to have FQDN of notebook.wireless.mydomain.local and when connected via wire to just be notebook.mydomain.local

Obviously my domain is called mydomain.local running AD Int DNS on a 2k3 server :) the server is connected to a 4meg DSL line via a Dlink wireless router however the Win 2k3 server does all DNS and DHCP duties the router is there purely as a gateway, all internal dns point to the 2k3 server. Clients are XPSP2

I am studying for my MCSE and while I know this isnt exactly in the book playing with stuff like this helps me understand the underlying concepts and when something doesnt work I want to know why :)

Now I selected, on the wireless nic properties to "use this connections dns suffix in dns registration" and gave it the required suffix of wireless.mydomain.local (not too sure this is right to achieve what i want???)

I ran ipconfig /registerdns and much of what i expected happened it created a domain under mydomain.local forward zone called "wireless" and in there was as i expected the host A record called "notebook" pointing notebook.wireless.mydomain.local to the notebooks wireless NIC IP .....all good so far

BUT..

There is also a host A record in the mydomain.local zone called notebook pointing to the notebooks wireless adaptor therefore when pinging 10.0.0.100 (ip of the notebook wnic) it resolves to notebook.mydomain.local and not notebook.wireless.mydomain.local. I have tried deleting this record however when i run ipconfig /registerdns on the client it puts it back.....why?

ie

notebook.mydomain.local in zone mydomain.local
notebook.wireless.mydomain.local in zone wireless.mydomain.local

I only want the connection specific dns registering can anyone confirm if when running ipconfig/registedns on a NIC which has a connection specific dns it registers both the connection specific dns name and the non specified dns name too

If so is it not possible to have my FQDN as notebook.wireless.mydomain.local when connected via the Wnic and then have the FQDN of notebook.mydomain.local when connected via a cable?

**just read my post and think i need to point out the 2k3 server is wired to the router the only wireless client is the notebook all others are wired and all dns resolution works both forward and reverse except for the above mentioned issue

thanks in advance for your time

Si

Last edited:

Ask a Question