Help: SMC 2635W Wireless Card & Windows XP WPA

F

For Sale

Can someone assist with setting up WPA [Wi-fi Protected Access] on my wireless laptop running Windows XP Pro?

My Equipment List:

1. Hardwired computer running Windows XP Pro and a SMC 7004VWBR router which supports WPA encryption (latest firmware installed which supports WPA). Router encryption setting set at WPA with a Pre Shared Key. Hardwired running fine...

2. Laptop computer running fresh copy of Windows XP Pro with a wireless SMC 2635W card (Latest drivers from SMC installed which supports WPA with XP).

3. Windows XP WPA updates Q815485 and KB826942 installed on Wireless laptop .

4. SMC's Wireless Card Manager Software

Previous to this all was working great in WEP mode..

At the present time, set up on the wireless seemed simple following instructions from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/bowman/03july28.asp

The result of this setup shows I have a Wireless Network Connect detailing an excellent signal stregth, although when I try to access IE, I receive message "The page cannot be displayed"

I checked the Tools, Internet Options, Connections, Lan Settings, and everything is unchecked as it should be...so I am wondering why my IE is not supporting the wireless connection?

Any detailed instructions or websites that can help with the settings would be great. SMC's support is NOT..

G

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem.

I have Windows XP Home and the SMC 2635W wireless card with the latest drivers from SMCs homepage.

As soon as I install KB826942, my windows' network functions do not work properly anymore (cable based connections as well). IE and all other browsers display "Page cannot be displayed".

I have spent about 3-4h on SMCs hotline until they said they were unable to figure out what it is. They blame it on Windows.

Spent another 1 or 2 days researching on google and trying several things, no luck though. Appearantly KB826942 breaks the TCP/IP-Stack when installed in combination with the SMC 2635 W.

I was not able to solve the problem, the only thing I could do was installing all Windows Updates _but_ the KB826942 to keep my system working.

Any help is highly appreciated...

Simon

Ask a Question