Help please: CPU usage 98% on system

paul johnson

Hi,
I am running windows XP (with the latest updates and service pack 2) on
a AMD 1500 with 768 ram. Everything has been stable up till now. XP has
now started to hang on shutdown, and I am getting 98%CPU usage on
system.(according to task manager) It may be just a coincidence, but I
have a new CRT monitor however the drivers won't work with windows xp.

Thanks for reading this, and if you can help that would be great. Paul

gls858

paul said:
Hi,
I am running windows XP (with the latest updates and service pack 2) on
a AMD 1500 with 768 ram. Everything has been stable up till now. XP has
now started to hang on shutdown, and I am getting 98%CPU usage on
system.(according to task manager) It may be just a coincidence, but I
have a new CRT monitor however the drivers won't work with windows xp.

Thanks for reading this, and if you can help that would be great.

What is the name of the process?

gls858

paul johnson

gls858 said:
What is the name of the process?

gls858
Hi, thanks for the reply, according to task manager it just says: image
name "system" user name "system" 98%CPR Mem usage 224k" this is just
above System Idle process. I think this may have something to do with
the failed driver for the monitor. Clicking on control panel gives an
error message regarding windows 98!
"System" is back to 0 now after a reset, and I have been able to open
control panel without the windows 98 error message.

Gerry Cornell

What is the monitor make and model?

What error messages are recorded in the system section of event viewer?
Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
discrepancies can make it harder to search for information about the
error message. You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the
error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Description are
important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

Part of the Description of the error will include a link, which you
should double click
for further information and you can copy using copy and paste.
http://go.microsoft.com/fw.link/events.asp
(Please note the hyperlink above is for illustration purposes only)

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the
error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
resembling two
pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
message
(email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
info from the
Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
sure this is the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

In Event Viewer there is no facility to print Error Reports. A
workaround is copy and
paste the Error Report into an email, send it to yourself and print off
the copy in your
Inbox or your Sent Items folder.

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

[...]