Help! Offline Files/CSCService consuming 100% CPU every few minutes

E

Eriq Cook

I am using a brand new HP Pavillion notebook (Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM) running Windows Vista Business. My computer seems to be slowing down every few minutes with 100% cpu being used, for a full 2 minutes, then goes back to normal condition again. After days upon days of troubleshooting, I narrowed it down to the CSCService service, which is releated to "Offline Files". I did a google search on it and discovered that many other people are having this same issue, but no clear resolution has been found aside from telling people to disable it entriely.

My problem is that I rely on Offline Files because I use two computers regularly: My notebook when I'm in the field, and my office PC (also running Windows Vista Business) when I'm in the office. Previously, it was a nightmare trying to sync files between my notebook and file server (Windows 2003) at the office. The Vista Offline Files option I thought was the perfect answer, and it does what it's supposed to do. But at the cost of consuming my CPU every 2-3 minutes for 2 minutes at a time.

It's highly irritating. It's happening right now as I'm typing this post. (one letter is appearing every 5-10 seconds).

Does anyone know of a clear way to fix the Vista Offline Files/CPU usage problem ***without*** disabling Offline Files??? It would be great to use my computer normally for more than a couple of minutes without locking up.

Oh, and FYI I cannot just temporarily disable offline files and re-enable it later to fix, as doign this messes up the network connection requiring me to reboot to see my network files again when I'm connected. So that's out of the question (I shouldn't have to do this anyway).

I hope I can resolve this problem before I have a Vista breakdown!

Ask a Question