Help needed with Western Digital external hd.

Reaction score
Okay, so my problem is quite annoying and I can't seem to find ANY good reason for it.

This morning, I woke up, and decided to turn on my computer.
Well, after messing around with Kaspersky (An anti-virus program) installer (it's a long story), my whole computer froze. Had to reboot it. Well all went fine until the blue "Starting windows..."-screen popped up, then my computer just rebooted itself again. I thought "Well, okay, some sort of an internal error, let it load again". The same happened again. Starting Windows and BOOM, back to the start.

Well, this continued onwards, and after several tries I finally got to login and got to the desktop. Well, all went fine, my computer was a bit slow because it loaded all the programs at startup etc... Well then it all just froze when Kaspersky loaded up. Well this happened 3-4 times. I got frustrated. Then I remembered fail-safe mode, and booted my computer with it enabled. I noticed that the freezing was because of Prevx1 and Kaspersky installed at the same time. I was able to delete all Prevx1 files, and then I was able to login as normal.
After that, I deleted Kaspersky and swore to NEVER try it again. I was frustrated.

Okay well, now my REAL problem (that was just what happened before, or as you could call it "A Backup Story", this is what happened AFTER: )

My Western Digital external hard drive (My Book 250GB Essential Edition) wasn't showing up. I noticed this when I tried to open a playlist in Windows Media Player with files from "My Book (I: )", and they couldn't load up. Well then I checked "My Computer", the external hard drive wouldn't show up anymore. I wasn't even able to locate it's drivers or anything, NO sing of it. It was on, the green light told me so, everything was connected from computer to My Book and vice versa. It just doesn't show up anymore.
This is annoying, since I really need the hard drive. I did read from the internet (using google) that some users had the same problem with Western Digital's hard drives and that they stopped working after a day of use.. Dang it.
Well luckily I've got other computers here, so I tried it on 2 of them. Worked perfectly, just Bueno. But that's not what I wanted. I wanted it to work with MY computer.

Anyone of you could help me?

And if you've kept on reading here, I am sorry to write so long messages. That's how I am.
And this is the short version. I could go on.. Okay I'll shut up now.

Thanks In advance
PS sorry if this is in wrong section, I just got on this forum, Because it seemed the best option. I don't trust Western Media's forums, I have never been to a "big" company's forums and got what I wanted, so I have a habit of trying the smaller, good looking ones.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay.. Now I think the problem can be found from my USB ports.

My USB-headset won't work, even tough it worked fine before the Kaspersky-problem. I might have changed some options when I entered into fail-safe mode..

Anyone got some help how to deal with USB port problems? :/

thanks

Reaction score
Got it to work

Hey again, myself.

Sorry for triple post, I find it funny to chat with myself.

Did a little bit of searching and voilah! Problem solved in under 3 minutes.
I remembered I had been messing around in BIOS, and loaded fail-safe-mode or something like that. I even told myself to go and switch it back if I get kaspersky off my computer. But I forgot.

Now I switched back to optimized. It works now.

If you find this thread worthless, delete it. Thanks for "help". :D

Ask a Question