Windows Vista Help needed, internet connection problems

Reaction score
  • Operating System: Windows Vista
  • Anti Virus Software : Avast
  • Anti Spyware Software : AdAware and Spybot search and Destroy
  • How do you connect to the net : ADSL wireless router connected to cable modem
  • Your Computer Specifications - This is very important!!
  • Processor: Intel Celeron Mobile
  • Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
  • Storage (hard drive): 80 GB
  • Laptop model: ACER ASPIRE 5315
Hi there everyone

I'm a total techno idiot, so i'm in desperate need of a step by step idiots guide on how to solve a problem.

My father-in-laws new laptop has decided to stop accessing the internet, and the diagnostic says that the error is something to do with the following
Policy Provider: Windows Firewall
Filter Name: Query User

We set up a Wireless router for him about a month ago, he immediately downloaded various spyware, antivirus stuff etc. All was well for weeks, as i say and then suddenly on friday he can't get online and the diagnostic gives the message above.

I seriously have no idea what this means. I've even tried restoring to his last back up last week - as i say he's only been unable to get on the internet since friday - and still we couldn't get online.
I have no idea what to do and any help would be grately appreciated.

To give you an idea of why this is urgent for us, he's a disabled man and his only link to the outside world really is his new laptop, he can't even use a phone properly now, but with the laptop in front of him, it gives him at least some freedom.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hello naitch1980!

Your dads Vista laptop looks to be having a little tantrum, for a number of possible reasons. Have you tried switching off the Windows firewall completely?

There could be a problem with conflicting software; the anti virus guard may not want to run with the firewall. Try switching off the anti virus, etc in turn.

without anymore information on the error, thats my rough guesstimate as to what the issue could be. :D

Reaction score
1) - Disable the firewall and try again?
[let us know the result of this procedure]

Failing Step 1
2) - Connect directly to the modem and see if you can connect to the internet?
[let us know the result of this procedure]

Ask a Question