Help needed-buying a newPC.........

Reaction score
Two things really, Ive got around £600 to get a new PC to go off to Uni with and dont really know what to get. Also Ive seen a spec on EuroPC and have a similar question to the poster below - is it a rip off?

The Spec is as followsWindows XP Home
- Intel Pentium 4 2660Mhz Processor
- 512Mb DDR SDRAM pc266Mhz CL2.5 2100
- 80GB IDE Fast access hard drive
- DVD ReWriter
- DVD-Rom
- Sound on board
- 128Mb Radeon 9000 tv out
- Standard onboard 10/100 RJ45 NIC
- Modem 56K
- Six USB ports
- 1 DIMM slot used 1 free
- 3 PCI Slots Free
- AGP slot used
- One serial port

The price for the system is £499 inc VAT. Its a factory refurb job, but its guarenteed. Apart from the sound, which I'll upgrade i think it looks ok - any opinions?

As for the other question - what will £600 buy me, I need a system with a CDBurner+DVD Drive, reasonably large hard drive and plenty of RAM/a decent processor.

Cheers in advance anyone that might be able to help!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That isn't actually too bad a price, if you are after a pre-built system with a warranty. If it is a factory refurb, check with them that it includes all the cables, manuals etc... and is in as new condition.

Have you ever thought about building a PC yourself?

Reaction score
trific

sure mate it sounds like a good pc and its factory built!!! but take my advice obviously u r living out? so am i!!!!

what i aint going to do is to take my PC on the first day as u cant be sure abt the security of your room do u get what i mean? i would take it 1-2 weeks into the course just to be safe

i think that the price u said is quite good........ but with regards to building your own pc ... yes it is fun.. but beleive me when u get a problem it HURTS!!! and when u cant solve this problem u end up rining mates or asking people on forms.... only build a PC if u think u can do it. but get a REALLY good motherboard thats a must mate.

whatever your outcome please let us all know and good luck at uni mate

all the best

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Build it yourself and save money

NO ... I don't think it’s a good deal.

You can get a NEW Dell for £650 inc, you can find better, don't go for 'refurbish' unless your money IS really tight.

Why oh why do these people never tell you what the motherboard is? :rolleyes: It's a very integral and vital part of the system, but you never see it listed ... if your building a bridge on sand don't come crying to me when the dam thing sinks.

Keep looking. ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Actually, mucks has just reminded me of a good point... Dell (strangely enough!)...

Check out the bargains forum, and there is a link to the dell outlet (you may be able to find it from www.dell.co.uk). I've seen some excellent spec PCs for £500 here - some with DVDRs and some good components!

I found the link to it on another forum, and somehow they got a link for 10% off, no idea how, but it seems good! :D

EDIT : Just had a look this very second, and there are no deals that particularly stand out (you have to look often to find a really good deal).

Reaction score
joker!!!

quote:

'if your building a bridge on sand don't come crying to me when the dam thing sinks'.

lol isnt that such a funny phrase to put together u got to rate that!!!!!!!im sure this lads full of good advice!

but to be truthful this geezer is rite the motherboard of a computer is a must to be of a good standard!!!!!!! so choose wisely my friend!!!!

Reaction score
I have just been reading this thread and there's some things i agree with and some i don't...

i think mucks is right to recommend against a refurb unless you really are strapped, but I think ian is right that £499 (incl VAT) isn't too bad. Sure, dell may be offering a system at £650, but that is a full 30% above the refurbed one at £499...

On the other hand (and back with muck on this) you should consider how long your PC is expected to last...if you need it for 12 months, and the refurb comes with a suitable warranty, then it would seem a reasonable buy, but if you want it to last 2-3 years over your course, then another £150 would be a wise investment.

Another option is to study computers and build your own!:D

Rkelly

<a href="http://www.europc.co.uk">EuroPC</a> Repre
Reaction score
Hello,

I should start by saying that I work for EuroPC, and am here to pervert your minds with corporate propaganda.

Or not. I just started work here, and thought I'd have a browse of some boards to see if the name popped up - obviously it did, and i was led here. So, I thought I'd put your mind to rest about our refurb stock. All of it is done in our brand new factory, and most of the time has nothing wrong with it to begin with - so it's basically just been double checked, and is of no lesser quality than if bought new. For example, our D*ll stock (we're not allowed to mention brand names because we undercut them) comes with their own 3yr on-site warranty, such is its quality.

I guess what I'm saying is that from us, refurbished does in no way mean inferior - we work very hard to make sure this is the case, and we like to think that's whats made us the fastest growing IT company in Britain. And I REALLY don't want this to look like some awful ad - I just think that we should have the chance top stick up for ourselves, which I'm sure you'll agree is only fair. Anyway, good luck with your new PC, whether you decided to buy from us or not!

Richie

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm quite pleased to see you took time out to reply, shame other companies wont/dont/cant do the same.

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I'm quite pleased to see you took time out to reply, shame other companies wont/dont/cant do the same.

:thumb:
I'd agree with that wholeheartedly, if this isn't a carefully orchestrated setup ;)

I really am a bit of a cynical so-and-so you see...... it smacks of a plug...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say thanks too ;)

We've had a few companies "set-up" questions like this, but your IP and the posters are based at different geographical locations, as well as the term "europc" and "europc review" appearing in the google search logs for the site from your IP! (just to put the sceptics at rest!)

Have you considered being a company rep in the "retailers" forum if anyone has any queries about your company?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say thanks too ;)

We've had a few companies "set-up" questions like this, but your IP and the posters are based at different geographical locations, as well as the term "europc" and "europc review" appearing in the google search logs for the site from your IP! (just to put the sceptics at rest!)

Have you considered being a company rep in the "retailers" forum if anyone has any queries about your company?
In which case - I'm pleased.

I just hope, if and when EuroPC get busy, they don't forget what their customer base was founded on - a friendly personal touch, fair play and communication, there are very few suppliers who can boast this.

Rkelly

<a href="http://www.europc.co.uk">EuroPC</a> Repre
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive feedback everybody! I can assure you its not a plug or a set-up - i just thought i should stick up for my company. I'm very much a sceptic of such tactics myself, and they do a lot more harm than good - I'm sure I'm not alone in being sick of companies using any cheap ploy to get a bit of business, especially when the majority do it so badly. It's my belief that transparency between companies and customers is the best way to do business, which I'm pleased to say floppybootstomp seems to think we have already - it's certainly what we aim for. And cheers for the rep suggestion Ian - new to the site, so still looking at it all. Nice Domo btw- b3tan by any chance?

Reaction score
the reason thay dont put the motherboard specs with the comp description is because they dont think its rellevant as not many people are going to understand, apart form all of us.. but think of it this way, the mobo will only just support the components they are not going to put an amazing mobo in and not tell you about it, it will be a minimum mobo i guarantee it!

Ask a Question