Should I buy this?

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a computer and this is one I found. I was wondering if someone would be able to review the specs and tell me if this is a good choice or not. I know that the core is one the latest and runs 40% faster and more energy efficient than the Turion 64 and is supposed to be Vista ready. If some helpful readers could maybe give me some reviews and opinions on this I think that would make my life. I guess for me, the money is a large investment for a student. It also comes in a package with a 20" LCD screen for 1299.99. The service plan is 359 for 4 yrs from futureshop. The plan seems to be pretty amazing for coverage. Thanks so much to anyone who offers their time!

CDN$ 1099.99

Gateway Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz With Viiv Technology Media Center Computer (5258H) -Bilingual

Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Processor Speed: 1.86GHz Each
RAM: 2GB DDR2 (2 x 1024MB), Exp. To 8GB
Hard Drive: 250GB SATA II (7200 RPM, 8MB Cache)
Optical Drives: DVD +/- 16X Multi-Format Double Layer
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE With TurboCache
Available Expansion Bays: 2 x 3.5", 1 x 5.25"
Available Expansion Slots: 0 x PCI-E x16, 0 x PCI-E x1, 0 - PCI
Cache: Shared 2MB L2
Disk Drive: No
Fax/Modem: 56k ITU V.92 Ready
I/O Ports: See The Features Section
Included Software: See The Features Section
Monitor Included?: No
Network Card : 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 Port)
Other Control Devices: Elite Multimedia Keyboard, Optical Mouse
Preloaded Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Sound Card: 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
Speakers: Amplified Stereo Speakers, USB Powered
System Bus: 1066MHz
Warranty : 1 Year Parts & Labour

More Information

FEATURES:

I/O Ports: 9 x USB 2.0 Ports (2 in Front, 1 in Digital Media Manager, 6 in back), 1 x VGA External Connector, 1 x S-Video External Connector, 1 x DVI External Connector, 2 x IEEE-1394 Ports (1 in front, 1 in back), 0 x Parallel Port, 2 x PS/2 Ports (Keyboard and Mouse), 7 x Audio Ports (2 in front, 5 in back), 1 x S/PDIF

Software: Microsoft Works 8.5, Microsoft Money 2006, Adobe Reader 7, CyberLink DVD Solution Suite-CyberLink PowerDVD (DVD Play)-CyberLink Power2Go (DVD Burn), Microsoft Windows Media Player 10, Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006 (includes 60-day Digital Image Standard 2006 trial), Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Toolbar, McAfee Internet Security Suite (90-day complimentary subscription), Gateway BigFix, Sonic PrimeTime Plugin for Media Center Edition, Intel VIIV 1.5

Last edited:
Reaction score
And here's the service plan if that it helps any to get an idea of what they will cover if anything goes bad. Maybe someone sees something that would go wrong but is covered?

Benefits of our Product Service Plan:

We guarantee your product's performance
Your Product Service Plan coverage goes beyond most manufacturer's warranties, guaranteeing that your product will perform to the manufacturer's standard for the duration of the coverage.

We’re here when you need us
Future Shop’s trained customer service representatives are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Your Product Service Plan provides you prompt and courteous service. Simply call 1-800-663-2275 for assistance.

If we can’t fix it, we’ll replace it
You’ll have peace of mind knowing that your product will be replaced if we are unable to repair it, or if the repair will take longer than 60 days.

Don’t get stuck with a lemon
If your product requires more than three major repairs, we’ll provide you with a replacement product.

We provide peace of mind world-wide
Your Product Service Plan provides you with global coverage. To arrange for service within Canada or the US, call 1-800-663-2275. In all other locations, call 613-634-4643.

Protect yourself from power surges
Your product will be repaired or replaced should it be damaged by a power surge (hardware only – software and data not included).

We can bring service right to your door
This option will provide on-site or door-to-door courier service for: applicable TVs, computer/monitor packages, laptops, major appliances and microwaves (Note, laptops are door-to-door courier option only).

We provide you with complete coverage
Accessories and peripheral devices that come with your product are protected by your Product Service Plan, provided they came in the original manufacturer’s package.

We provide extra value with transfer privileges
If you wish to sell your product, your Product Service Plan is transferable to the new owner, greatly increasing the resale value of the product. There is no additional paperwork involved; simply give the new owner a copy of your original invoice.

Complete your gift with a Product Service Plan
Are you purchasing the perfect gift for a family member or friend? Complete your gift with a Product Service Plan to ensure your recipient will always enjoy their product and to protect them against expensive repair costs.

You're always protected
All of our plans are fully insured by American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida.

Reaction score
"Disk Drive: No" does that mean NO Hard Drive:confused:
Plus a 4 year service plan will mean you may not be able to upgrade it for that time, or if you want the company will charge big bucks for them to do it! Better to go for one that is say, 2 years:thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the no disk drive refers to not having a Floppy Disk drive. It comes with 250GB it says. Apparently there are still a bunch of programs that require Floppy disks. And I'm sure stores like futureshop have gotten trouble from customers who don't realize they are now being manufactured without them.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The PC is a good 'entry level' PC ... specs are fine, I would like to know what the MB is, but you will have a hard time finding out ... you can prove me wrong on that. Gateway used to make pretty good PCs ... hope they still do.

Price is fair and comes out at around 5-600 pounds UK

The service plane is, like any other service plan, a bloody ripoff ... not worth the paper it's printed on ... forget it.

Software is the normal stuff you would expect, and, completely worthless ... I highly recommend you DO NOT install McAfee ... there are Free alternatives that will give you much better protection.

Ask for XP Pro ... it will do all that Media Center can do and much much more.

user.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
aragrev said:
What would the MB be?
MB = MotherBoard ... they never list it, you tell me what they are using ... and I'll tell you it's problems if any. :thumb:

Anything &everything in a PC gets connected to the MB, sorry, Motherboard, in one way or another ... everything.

If they cut corners, and they do, then ... sh1t in = sh1t out. ;)

Reaction score
Okay, I'll check that out. Hopefully I can get that info. And just for comparison, What would you or anyone look for when buying a computer right now? Maybe list Your standard "would not take anything less" and then your top notch. I just want to figure out how high target really is.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was just thinking out loud, never thought I'd say this, ho hum, not even recommending it really but for less than £1099.99 you could get the new Intel Apple Mac 20" screen version.

Ouch, stop hitting me will you.....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, hang on, we're talking Canadian dollars here? Oops, sorry, never noticed that.

The system is good, the service agreement isn't worth the paper it's printed on and the graphics card is no good for Gaming, you want at least a 7600 GS or GT. That is, if you're into gaming :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
aragrev said:
im definitely into gaming.. but i figure i can upgrade these things later?

Yes, you can. But, when you do upgrade, you'll have a redundant 7300LE card which will be hard to sell and a card you will have paid good money for.

Better to pay extra now and save money in the long term, should your budget be able to stretch that far.

Find out how much extra to get a 7900 256Mb GS, probably not a great deal more.

Ask a Question