Help memory problems ;-(

Vaughn

I have 2 PCs. One a homebuild with 4 memory slots. 2 are for SDRAM Dimms. I
believe DDR, they only have 1 location notch in each slot. The other 2 have
2 Notches in each slot.

One of the First slots has a single 512MB DDR memory chip, and all is OK.

the other PC is a DELL, and this has 2 slots similar to the ones being used
in the first PC. this Dell has one 128MB memory module in one slot.

I have just purchased another 256 MB module but this will not work in either
the DELL or Homebuild PC.

When used in the DELL the screen has painted, und unpainted strips on it
when the new 256 module is used.

On the Homebuild nothing works with the new 256.

the other 512, and 128 work in both machines.

The only difference in the 2 working, and new un-working module is that the
old working ones are 2100, but the new one is 2700.

Is this the problem?

And what does 2100, and 2700 mean as the older ones are 333MHz, as so is
the new module?

I'm sure the answer is very obvious, but if you could be so kind as to point
it out I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance Vaughn

Shep©

[...]

Try it in someone else's system.I'd suspect a faulty module but check
here,
http://www.crucial.com/uk/promo/index.asp?prog=desktop2

drg

Vaughn said:
[...]

Did you put the larger chip in the #1 slot?

Vaughn

drg said:
Did you put the larger chip in the #1 slot?

Yes always put larger in first, but still no good. thanks for the reply,
anything else you can think of please please forward.

many thanks Vaughn

Vaughn