Help if you can

Reaction score
Hey guys
I know this is completely got feck all to do with computers, but i'm hoping maybe one of you might be able to help me or guide me in the right direction..A few months ago my oldest daughter decided that it was time to leave home..After much not wanting her to go we gave in and helped her with looking for a flat etc...Because of her age (18) I have had the contract for her flat signed in my name...Anyway it came time to have gas/electric and phone line connected...I went for BT for phone and British gas for electric and gas..But I have come up against some hurdles...Both BT and British gas want me to lay down a deposit before they will connect me...I was totally dumb founded by this and asked why they would want that as I have a good credit rating etc..Their response was that the address was black listed..I tried to explain that we are new tenants etc..But again they said the address was balck listed..Does anybody know how to get the address cleared..Don't get me wrong here, i'm not tight and have the money to pay the deposit/security..But it is a bit annoying...Ideas would be appreciated..

Edit (Ian): I've removed that confusing post for you (plus the few replies) to help keep it on topic :thumb:

Reaction score
I had a similar problem last year but only with British gas not with BT, so I rang E-on for gas/electricity no problem they are a lot cheaper too;) .

the problem is previous tenants owed £££ to whoever and it reflects on the address not the occupier..

Reaction score
As for clearing the address dont think you could do that as more than likely a number of tenants have owed monies ask the landlord.

Reaction score
As itsme say's it may just be BT & British Gas who are playing hard ball.
Try different suppliers to see if you can get a better deal out of them.

Reaction score
feckit said:
As itsme say's it may just be BT & British Gas who are playing hard ball.
Try different suppliers to see if you can get a better deal out of them.

I have tried fecking everybody and get the same thing...lol short of buying a generator and some bottled gas I dunno what to do..

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
You could contact your bank mate, get you r financial advisor to get in touch with them, as i've posted before my lil sis is a graduate bank manager at HSBC, she says if your credit rating is good then the bank can act on your behalf.

Reaction score
If your renting from a Landlord then it's their responsibility to sort this problem out.

As they are probably black listed from various utilities companies for failure to pay monies due.

Speak to the landlord, But also contact the companies by letter explaining the situation etc.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't suppose it's possible your daughter would consider a different place to rent?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've just been Googling around and found these:

Taken from "thesite.org"
Under the Credit Scoring Scheme, drawn up in 1993 and updated in 2000, companies offering credit are not allowed to redline or blacklist a particular property and should only score individuals. The process of redlining is where a whole area or location is charged extra for or denied services. If you believe that your property has been redlined you may want to make a complaint to your local trading standards office or the Office of Fair Trading.

You might also want to consider contacting the credit reference agencies and inform them of the change of the resident at your address. The agencies are: Experian (0870 241 6212); Equifax (0870 010 0583); and Callcredit (Tel: 0870 060 1414).

Taken from "The Independent"
Equifax and Experian are the two main credit information providers in the UK and Equifax confirms that a postal address cannot be blacklisted and that credit reference agencies do not hold credit blacklists. They will only hold information on a file that relates to the same surname or those who have or had a financial link with that person. There may, however, be several reasons why you find it difficult to obtain credit in a new home

Really hope they help :)

Reaction score
I was about to say im sure there is a official body to contact companys and have the address's cleared

I havd a company recently try to blacklist me. Saying they had alrady done the credit checks and were abtou to start action. I contacted experian and applied for my free credit check. As i thought I didnt have a single black mark against me.

ANd there was no way they are allowed to dicredit me for the situation they were attempting too. Needless to say I ignored them. They still continue to contact me and try to take action against me without provocation. They are starting to annoy me now hoever and I am considering legal action agaisnt them for harassment

Experian allow a free check for one month. You have to put all your details in to allow them to check up on you. If you do not call them to cancel your account within 28days they will charge you. So dont forget

Last edited:

Ask a Question