Bargain Heads up ....Crysis £2.49

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Bargain :D

Would have snaffled that up if I didn't have it already.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I saw that, almost posted myself, if you're one of the few who don't have Crysis 1 and you like a little fps action, snap this up.

CSB

Reaction score
The only thing with downladable games on Steam is you can't back them up ?. Or does Steam allow the game to be downloaded again if your PC goes up the shoot.

I know online companies do not allow you to download MP3's again (well all the ones I know anyway).

Fantsatic offer if Steam allow the content to be downloaded again in future.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All you need with Steam is a user name and a password and once you've purchased a game it's yours to download again and again and again as many times as you like.

And you can do that on as many computers as you like but can only open Steam in your name on one computer at a time.

You can also back up your Steam Folder if you're worried about bandwidth for a reinstall (my Steam folder is currently about 170Gb on one computer and 150Gb on another).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not so CSB. :)

I've moved my steam install between several now PCs/new installs. without an issue. Infact i recently moved my Steam drive (yes i have a hard disk just for Steam!) to a new 2Tb drive. My Steam folder is close to 400Gb now so i figured i'd make use of the cheap prices of storage. :D

I always use this method and its always worked. Thought i'd advise against using the inbuilt backup system. ;)

If you encounter any errors during the move process or when Steam is launched from the new location, it may be necessary to perform a more thorough process:

- Exit the Steam client application.
- Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation (continuing the from the last section example, this would be the new location of D:\Games\Steam\.
- Move the SteamApps folder from the Steam installation folder to your desktop.
- Review the Uninstalling Steam topic for instructions to uninstall Steam (this must be done to remove your old Steam installation settings from the Windows Registry).
- Review the Installing Steam topic for instructions to re-install Steam to the desired location.
- Move the SteamApps folder into the new Steam installation folder to copy all of your downloaded game content, settings, and saved games to the new location.
- Start Steam and log in to your existing Steam account to confirm that the move was successful.
- For installed games, verify your game cache files and you will be ready to play.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've also moved my Steam folder about a few times, mostly without problems, but...

On my main machine fresh install so far I've had to delete and reinstall a few to get them working, notably CoD Black Ops & Mass Effect 1.

Also on my secondary machine I recently swapped out 4 assorted hard drives for one 2Tb disk. My Steam Folder was on one of the original hard disks and is now on the single 2Tb disk.

Now the only way I can open Steam is by using the .exe file in the Steam folder.

So it looks as though I'll have to go through the 'moving Steam folder' process to enable the start menu link to work. I've tried making a shortcut and placing it in start menu/taskbar/quick launch but it didn't work.

So Steam mostly good but still prone to the occasional quirk if you step outside of the norm.

This not to put Steam down, just to make folk aware, I like Steam a lot and it knocks spots off EA's Origin setup.

Ask a Question