Brace yourself, The Steam Christmas Sale is coming.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Starts on the 22nd (tomorrow at time of writing) and runs until the 29th.

Not sure how good the deals with get, Steam sales aren't as good as they used to be. Or as much fun, I miss the flash deals and voting etc. Don't judge me.

http://store.steampowered.com/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm waiting on those games from the co-op thread, fingers crossed they come up in the sale!

Even Origin seems to have better sales than Steam these days - quite the change...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
the games I want haven't been made yet.

gamer.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Steam have yet another sale on and I’ve bought a few things:

Batman Arkham Knight - £5.43
Final Fantasy VII - £4.99
Star wars Rogue Squadron 3D - £2.79

Batman Arkham Knight is about 18 months old and was riddled with flaws and problems when first released but apparently all has been fixed now. We shall see.

I bought Final Fantasy VII years ago and played a few hours but somewhere along the way I lost the game, either a hard copy or a digital download, I can’t remember. I contacted Square Ennix and explained my problem but they wouldn’t have any of it and refused to send me another copy. So I must confess I looked for a pirate copy as I felt justified in being naughty but I couldn’t find a copy. So eventually I saw it reduced from a tenner to a fiver and bit the bullet. Leaves a bit of a sour taste but it’s a good game, as I remember.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron is a very old game and the graphics are dated, I used to own a hard copy of this game, don’t know what happened to it. It has been optimised to work on Win 7/8/10 so looking forward to giving that a go.

Elsewhere I bought Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition on GOG for £14.99 (half price) and Dragon Age: Inquisition on Origin for £7.49.

I bought Divinity Original Sin as it has unanimous top reviews and seemed to be highly thought of. I’ve played a quick half hour and so far I’m not seeing what all the fuss is about, it seems to be nothing special and quite complicated, there’s a lot to learn. I’ll give it a lot more time before making a final decision.

Of the games on offer at Steam I’d recommend Victor Vran at £3.99 (Normally 15.99) and The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Game Of The Year Edition with both DLC packs for £20.99. The single Witcher III game is £12.49 atm if you fancy trying it before adding the DLC. I actually bought this game and the DLC on GOG.

The Witcher III is one of the best games I’ve ever played despite there being a multitude of cut scenes, they’re all actually quite interesting. I’ve played 20 hours and I’m up to level 16. I also have both DLC packs but it’s recommended level 32 be reached before starting any of them.

Victor Vran is the best Action RPG I’ve played and so far I’ve spent 25 hours playing this one and am up to Level 33. In my opinion it’s better than Grim Dawn and Titan Quest/Immortal Throne both of which are similar and which I also own and have played quite a lot.

I quite fancy Planet Coaster currently reduced to £25.49 but I think I’ve spent quite enough for now, that one can wait until it’s a bit cheaper.

What’s that I see? Assetto Corsa (a racing game) for £13.79? Damn, damn, no, I mustn’t…….

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just noticed this thread, sorry V_R but I started a similar thread, calling it the Steam Winter Sale.

There are some bargains to be had at Steam. But also Origin and GOG.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Just noticed this thread, sorry V_R but I started a similar thread, calling it the Steam Winter Sale.

I've merged them together - thought it might be easier :)

Batman Arkham Knight for £5.43 is a bargain! I've been playing Arkham Asylum and been really enjoying it - I'm quite close to the end I think, but haven't played it for a few weeks because I got stuck, and then got distracted by new games for the PS VR. That's something I quite like about the game though - it can be quite tricky and takes a few attempts to get past certain bits. Makes it all the more enjoyable when you do :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well the Steam sale is over now. My verdicts on recently purchased games:

Dragon Age: Inquisition is absolutely fabbo and I'm loving it, 12 hours so far and I keep going back to it. If you like RPG's then I'd really recommend this one and it's still in the Origin sale for £7.49 as I type.

Batman Arkham Knight, imo, is the best of this Batman series of games so far, and for £5.43 it was a no brainer. A much easier interface than previous Batman games, good graphics and fluid gameplay. I notice in the comments left at Steam lots of people thought the Batmobile in the game was a bit rubbish but I couldn't find anything up with it, it handles ok and was fast.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3D is rubbish. Well, it is for me, I can't get past the first level and the graphics are crap. Having said that I should point up I am not particularly too good at all flying games, it's a good job I never joined the RAF :D

Final Fantasy VII is as good as I remember but I've been so busy playing Dragon Age Origins I haven't been there very much.

Haven't been back to Divinity Original Sin so can't add any more to my above comments.

I also bought Shantae The Pirates Curse for £7.50 in the Steam sale, it's a platformer much in the style of a lot of the old Sega Megadrive games. But I asked for a refund after playing 23 minutes and Steam have agreed to a refund. Why? Because after struggling through a level there's a hard bit at the end and if you fail then you go right back to the beginning, the save system is a bad one. So I got fed up playing the same sequence over and over and over. So bye bye Shantae.

Now then, back to Dragon Age: Inquisition :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Final Fantasy VII is as good as I remember but I've been so busy playing Dragon Age Origins I haven't been there very much.

Ah I have fond memories of that game! My brother used to play it when we were kids, and I used to love watching. I'm sure the actual graphics are very different to how I remember it though!

Ask a Question