home edition
Verson 2002
Intel
Pentium 4 cpu 3.00Ghz
2.99 Ghz, 2.00GB of Ram
Hard drive 149 GB
Use 35.00GB
Free 149 GB

I just installed new SSD drive and clone my old drive so that I do not have to load all software.

Connected new drive to sata 0 port and connected old drive to sata 1 port.

Now
I can boot from new drive and run all program but I can not see my old drive when I click on to my computer. Can any one help?

Reaction score
O.K. The problem is fix now. One of the SATA port was not on. I just turn on the sata port and now I can see both drives.
BUT
Now there is another problem. I can not run in SAFE MODE, I tried 4 times but every time it started and ended in blue screen and froze.
ADY SOLUTION???

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
XP on an SSD is not a great idea, as TRIM isn't supported.

Also, you should do a fresh install rather than a clone from a mechanical drive.

Reaction score
I tried to force boot to safe mode by following you instructions. As soon as I did that it want even boot, right away I get blue screen. I was not able to do anything. I have to un plug SSD and boot from my old mechanical drive. Change back the seting in to new SSD drive, reconnected SSD drive and started computer again.
What do you mean when you say trim is not supported.
I clone the drive because I do not know how to install all software, last time when my h/d crash it took me 2 weeks to install everything. That is why I clone the drive.

Reaction score
If I want to do the fresh install every thing, can you send me step by step instructions how to do that. I will format the SSD drive and reinstall evrything if I have step by step instructions.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Read about TRIM in the link below
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

As for doing a fresh install, its a matter of first installing the OS and updating it. Once that's done, then install all your software. It's a matter of inserting the software media into your cd/dvd drive and following instructions from there

Reaction score
I do not have cd of all the software I have installed in my computer, that was the main reason why I clone the drive.

At present SSD drive is working ok.
Only problem is how to boot in safe mode??????????????????

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
As I said in one of my other posts, what erro code ar you getting when you get blue screen?

Reaction score
More problems
Can not go to safe mode, I tried f2,f8, and f12 to get the option to start in safe mode but it just goes to setup mode.
When i start the computer before loading os it stops and massege is "can not find floppy", click f1 to continue f2 to setup. I do not have floppy disk on my computer. I must have done somthing wrong.
Start up time went up to 7 min.
Can not give you error code because i am not able to go to safe start screen,

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
With all that happening I suggest you just reformat your computer and start again

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have dell computer

Ah missed that bit the first time round..... That will be the issue.

What happens if you put the PC back with the mechanical hard disk that was in it already? Does it all work as it used to?

Reaction score
I will try using mechanical drive to start the computer. Last time it work but I will try again today and let you know.

How can I format SSD drive when I can not go in safe mode?
Can not go to safe mode, I tried f2,f8, and f12 to get the option to start in safe mode but it just goes to setup mode.
When i start the computer before loading os it stops and massege is "can not find floppy", click f1 to continue f2 to setup. I do not have floppy disk on my computer. I must have done somthing wrong.
Start up time went up to 7 min.
Can not give you error code because i am not able to go to safe start screen,

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
1. SSD + Win XP = Trouble.
2. Check BIOS settings
3. See #1, failing that reinstall, oh wait its a Dell, ok, 'Restore' it. :)

In all honestly, i'd think about a new system, that Dell looks old going by the specs, save the SSD for a new machine.

Reaction score
I un-install floppy disk controller and floppy disk drive, still when I start the computer before loading the operating systems I get follow:
FLOPPY DISK SEEK FAILED
STRIKE F1 TO CONTINUE AND F8 SETUP.
ONCE I CLICK F1 IT LOADS THE OPERATING SYSTEM.
CAN NO GO TO SAFE MODE.
MY DESK TOP IS 5 YEARS OLD.

My computer work good once operating systems is loaded. All programs work good. Even it is faster the when I had mechanical drive.

I dont mind 7 min startup time but what can I do with following:
I un-install floppy disk controller and floppy disk drive, still when I start the computer before loading the operating systems I get follow (in spite of no floppy disk install in computer)

FLOPPY DISK SEEK FAILED
STRIKE F1 TO CONTINUE AND F8 SETUP.
ONCE I CLICK F1 IT LOADS THE OPERATING SYSTEM.
CAN NO GO TO SAFE MODE.
MY DESK TOP IS 5 YEARS OLD.

Ask a Question