Having Windows Live Mail also accessible on net

searcher

I use Windows Live Mail as my email pop3 account for mail.
My question is why, when I go to another computer, use the net, go to WLM,
use the same name and password, do I not find the same emails, saved to be
able to access them while away from home?
2nd Question: What is the address to access the Microsoft forums that are
replacing their newsgroup service?

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

That feature is known as message syncing, i.e., keeping the messages for
that account mirrored the same on all computers accessing that mail
account. The common POP3 mail protocol does no syncing,
To get true syncing you need to use either the IMAP protocol, or HTTP
(Live/Hotmail accounts in Windows Live Mail), or webmail access.
Virtually all mail providers have webmail access for travelers, although
webmail usually has no record of messages sent via your desktop mail
program (Gmail is one of the few exceptions).

After these newsgroups close, Windows Live Mail will be supported here:
http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=15

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"searcher" wrote in message
I use Windows Live Mail as my email pop3 account for mail.
My question is why, when I go to another computer, use the net, go to WLM,
use the same name and password, do I not find the same emails, saved to be
able to access them while away from home?
2nd Question: What is the address to access the Microsoft forums that are
replacing their newsgroup service?

Dave N9

1. Pop3 email programs can download messages and remove them from the
server. Most do this by default. The current WLM program defaults to
leaving the messages on the server. But you can check it at
Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
Under Delivery:
[x] Leave a copy of messages on the server.

But it's best to have one computer remove the messages after a certain
number of days, so the server Inbox doesn't fill up.

2. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/WindowsAnswers

R. C. White

Hi, Searcher.

It might not be important for much longer, but as of now...

THIS newsgroup (windows.vista.mail) is only for Windows Mail - which is
supported only in Vista. For Windows LIVE Mail, please use
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop .

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

searcher

Thank you Dave N9... you answered both my questions with perfectly useable
answers.

Dave N9 said:
1. Pop3 email programs can download messages and remove them from the
server. Most do this by default. The current WLM program defaults to
leaving the messages on the server. But you can check it at
Tools - Accounts - youraccount - Properties - Advanced
Under Delivery:
[x] Leave a copy of messages on the server.

But it's best to have one computer remove the messages after a certain
number of days, so the server Inbox doesn't fill up.

2. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/WindowsAnswers

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate
http://download.live.com/wlmail

searcher said:
I use Windows Live Mail as my email pop3 account for mail.
My question is why, when I go to another computer, use the net, go to
WLM, use the same name and password, do I not find the same emails, saved
to be able to access them while away from home?
2nd Question: What is the address to access the Microsoft forums that are
replacing their newsgroup service?

searcher

Thanks Gary... for another bookmarked site.
Now I can find answers for Windows and for Vista.
Now to find one for my Acer Inspire 5315 and managing this silly keyboard.

searcher

R. C. White said:
Hi, Searcher.

It might not be important for much longer, but as of now...

THIS newsgroup (windows.vista.mail) is only for Windows Mail - which is
supported only in Vista. For Windows LIVE Mail, please use
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop .

RC

Ok and thank you.

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

You're very welcome, Searcher. Glad to help out.