Have you guys heard this yet?

Reaction score
ill post a link if you havn't

Microsoft have changed their license agreement.

From now on, if you replace the motherboard in your computer, you must buy a new OEM license.

If you replace your case, you must buy a new OEM license.

The only way around this is to buy a retail version. Which is £200.

I think microsoft have stooped to a new low.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
huh! yeah right ...

Even MS are not that stupid ... :rolleyes:

Think I'll move to Holland. :D

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
yes please show me a link. And come on microsoft do they possibly think people are going to abide by this like how the hell do they know if i just put my system in a new case????

Reaction score
Gona go see my solicitor tomorrow. I wana be one of the first to get a law suit going. I'll buy you all a new computer ;)

They cant do it!!

muckshifter

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Gona go see my solicitor tomorrow. I wana be one of the first to get a law suit going. I'll buy you all a new computer ;)

They cant do it!!
Have ever read an MS EUL ... I managed 4 paragraphs and said "I do not agree with this licence" and pressed OK. :D

My word is my bond ... ;)

* SuSE 10.2 is developing well, no need for a new PC, lots of new bells-n-whistles, as stable as the rock ... *

Reaction score
I Love Holland a nice clean place, but I like China even better, I have two Dutch friends in Nanning southern China and they love it there, you Dutch people speak better English than I do. I might be going to live in China for a while in July.

muckshifter

Reaction score
JD - Microsoft (Expert):
Q: I hate to reiterate the meeting, but you said if you upgrade a mobo in any pc you are required to purchase a new os correct?
A: Yes, the OEM OS is tied to the motherboard. So, if the motherboard fails while under warranty the license remains intact. However, if you are simply upgrading for feature or performance enhancements, you would need a new OS license.

Roger Goh [msft] (Expert):
Q: I hate to reiterate the meeting, but you said if you upgrade a mobo in any pc you are required to purchase a new os correct?
A: Yes, if you UPGRADE the mobo, you need to get a new OS because the OS is tied to the mobo.

oh dear, what a pitty ... :rolleyes:

Victor Mux aka BOB (Expert):
Q: k guys, my question is .i have a system i sold, mainboard is to handle a 3.2 processor but originally sold it with 2.4 with promise of upgradeability to 3.2, though main board works fine with 2.4 it does not with 3.2, is this considered a failed mainboard
A: This is still considered an upgrade if the motherboard is changed. You might want to try using the latest BIOS for the motherboard. If it still doesn’t support the 3.2 GHz CPU and you replace the motherboard then you’ll have to sell them a new OS.

yeah right!

Victor Mux aka BOB (Expert):
Q: you got to be kidding if i take a pc with same mainboard and upgrade mem and processor, then they gotta buy a new os???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
A: As long as the motherboard is the original and you upgrade the memory and processor then you don't have to sell them a new OS. If the motherboard is changed as an upgrade then a new OS has to be sold. If the motherboard is replaced because of failure then you don't have to sell them a new OS.
Phew, nearly another sale ...

Linux anyone. :D

Reaction score
must change 2 Linux

I really need to change to Linux.

I think Micosoft really do take the humble punter for a ride over software, no wounder that so many sites offer crack codes for MS products. I have used OpenOffice for the last year, have had no major problems and it was FREE:cool: :D:cool: :D :cool:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Microsoft has recently made changes to the Windows license agreement, saying that “An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a new personal computer to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer."

This will force users who upgrade their motherboard, even via the OEM, to purchase a new license agreement. The only exception is a defect for which the OEM replaces the motherboard.

Microsoft claims it needs to have "one base component left standing that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the heart and soul of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.”

Microsoft has asked its OEM partners to begin enforcing the new policy when they upgrade clients computers
oh boy ... all us self-bulders better invest in the "retail" copy next time. Or Linux :p

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/17/microsoft_oem_shocker/

read the comments here ... :D
http://www.aviransplace.com/index.p...5/microsoft-upgraded-motherboard-new-licence/

oh I just love my job. :cool:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I tell yer there talking out of there arses if microsoft really want to push this to its limit, then me and thousands like me will just turn to the good old corporate edition and it won't cost me or others a bean......You know what i'm talking about.....:D

At the moment i'm running xp home and i'm legal, but if they wanna start pushing these stupid EULA's then i'm afraid i won't be paying twice....So pirate copy here i come....;)

They need to get there head out of there arses and come down to earth cause nobody likes dictators...

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
they are taking this to an extreme now, and i bet theres a sudden increase in piracy because of it

i for one will buy a copy of XP for the computers i want it on and if i upgrade my motherboard that same copy is going back on to that system, if they dont like well tough ****

Ask a Question