Harddrive noise - any ideas?

BigAl.NZ

Hi Guys,

I have a rather old Western Digital 20Gig IDE HDD here. The user
states it started making a noise and of course the computer now wont
boot.

I plugged the drive into my PC, and it does not get recognised by the
Bios (so at the very least the logic board is dead?)

It makes the following noise repeatedly:

ftp://homepages.ihug.co.nz/public_html/harddrive.wav

Is this what they call stitchon or is it something else?

Anyone able to shed some light?

Cheers

-Al

Arno Wagner

In said:
I have a rather old Western Digital 20Gig IDE HDD here. The user
states it started making a noise and of course the computer now wont
boot.
I plugged the drive into my PC, and it does not get recognised by the
Bios (so at the very least the logic board is dead?)
It makes the following noise repeatedly:
ftp://homepages.ihug.co.nz/public_html/harddrive.wav

No anon-login here it seems....
Is this what they call stitchon or is it something else?

If it makes a noise, it is not stiction.
Anyone able to shed some light?

Likely a case for professional data recovery if the data is
important and the user was unprofessional enough to
not have a backup. Trash bin otherwise.

Arno

Jim Michaels

Arno said:
No anon-login here it seems....

If it makes a noise, it is not stiction.

Likely a case for professional data recovery if the data is
important and the user was unprofessional enough to
not have a backup. Trash bin otherwise.

Arno

actually, if it makes a chirping sound, then it's stiction. that's the
drive motor trying to spin up and failing to move the platter. it will
only do that so many times and then fail. then your logic board is
probably good also - it's just that the head is glued to the platter
with overheated lubricant.
that happens with some MFR's of drives, usually seagate and some others...

you *do* screw the drive into the case don't you? the more scres the
better - more heat sinking. also fans over the general idea are a good
idea, especially for today's 7200RPM drives.

given that most drives are warrantied for 5 years, my guess is that the
age of the drive is the issue - the parts are just worn out.

I suggest taking the drive to a data recovery shop. it will cost you
about $250-500. Look one up in the yellow pages under Computers.

--

------------------------------------
Jim Michaels

"Because we do not understand the brain very well we are constantly
tempted to use the latest technology as a model for trying to understand
it. In my childhood we were always assured that the brain was a
telephone switchboard. ('What else could it be?') I was amused to see
that Sherrington, the great British neuroscientist, thought that the
brain worked like a telegraph system. Freud often compared the brain to
hydraulic and electro-magnetic systems. Leibniz compared it to a mill,
and I am told some of the ancient Greeks thought the brain functions
like a catapult. At present, obviously, the metaphor is the digital
computer." - John R Searls.

BigAl.NZ

[...]

computer." - John R Searls.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the replies.

I have come across that sound before at least two or three times now
and wanted to know more about exactely what the problem is? Its F***ed
is very descriptive and enhances my kowledge greatly.

:)

-Al

Folkert Rienstra

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
No anon-login here it seems....
If it makes a noise, it is not stiction.

Babblebot, clueless as always.

If the drive grunts 3 or more times at say a 2 seconds interval at
spin-up time it is stiction. May be accompanied by a click releasing
the head clamps first.