Hard Drive Not Showing in BIOS nore in Windows Setup

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just took apart a computer and replaced the Motherboard and Processor to see if a Problem i've been having was sorted, but now it doesnt Register the Hard Drives Which are SATA RAID i think not totally sure, I made sure before putting them into the system they were totally wiped so nothing was left on them but, They still wont Show up, Changed Cables etc, Put them into another Comp, nothing

I did think HDD Failure but.. When i start up the System, i can see a Configuration Menu Option for the Hard drives, so The Motherboard is registering the Hard Drives but they arnt showing up in BIOS nore Windows Setup so i cant Install anything

Any Ideas Would be Brill

Thx

Iso

Reaction score
Hi,

Well That, Im totally not sure, From what i've read It says RAID 0 but That could mean anything, As it's a Shop Brought Computer I Know Near Totally nothing about the Parts Inside it,

Iso

Reaction score
Yes, i know what RAID means, i meant I dont know what Specs the Parts are inside because i cant get into windows and the computer isnt mine it's a friend and she doesnt know what specs it's got because It was brought from a shop by her Dad

Reaction score
All the info you need is on the hardware mate.

Even using Google and Manufacturers part numbers you can find exactly what you have.

There isa software which can identify what you have but you cant boot so no use. Have you tried just simply disconnecting the drive? Or switching the raid off? Is it defo set up for raid? 100% positive?

Because if it's not and its swtiched on the system wont boot as far as ive experienced

Simple search and find.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I've checked it's Setup For RAID etc, And thanks for the Advice, I'll take a look into it.

Atm, Im Following the Thought that the SATA Connection thats on the HDD is Damaged, Cuz i've changed both leads Stilll looking into it

Reaction score
If the PC has a raid system created, it usually wont show up on the bios screen, as there is a separate 'bios' for the raid. Also, for the OS installation, at least Windows ones, you will probably need the drivers (usually supplied on a floppy) so the OS will recognize the raid. This is also true for sata drives working as sata drives (as opposed to legacy or compatible mode)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You need to set up a RAID configuration at boot.

If the BIOS is set for RAID then nothing will be seen until you've set up a RAID array.

At boot, watch for which keyboard keys you have to press to enter the RAID setup menu, it's usually something like 'Ctrl & F2' but it varies. Or look in the motherboard manual if you have it.

Once in there, you'll be given the option to set up a RAID array. Select RAID 0, set the stripe size if you want to or just go for recommended, then add the two disks to the array.

Click on create or similar and you'll have your RAID array.

Then when you boot from your OS it should see the array as one disk.

And as mentioned above it's best to have the RAID drivers on a floppy to add during setup if you're using Windows. Although in most cases the drivers can be added after Windows is installed, it's best to load them during setup.

During Windows install, with the floppy in the drive, you'll be prompted to press F6 early on which will let you load the drivers.

The RAID drivers floppy disk can be created from the motherboard utilities CD.

If you don't want to go RAID, simply change the setting in the bios for normal SATA devices, not RAID.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've tried what you've recommended and the computer still wont register the HDD's In BIOS and Windows Setup so i cant install a OS to see whats the problem, Gonna try a New HDD in the computer, to see if it's the Motherboard SATA Ports or the HDD's them selves

Any More Ideas Would Be Greatfull

Isooc

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes thats one of the first things i did, I've Changed the battery, Reset the CMOS etc, nothing.

Iso

Reaction score
You say you've changed the M/B.... does it support those SATA HD's.... some boards have issues between SATA I and SATA II, are the drives spinnig up on power on ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, let's go back to the beginning.

Isooc said:
Hi all,

I've just took apart a computer and replaced the Motherboard and Processor to see if a Problem i've been having was sorted,

Which board and CPU came out and what did you replace them with?

Did you use the same memory modules?

Isooc said:
but now it doesnt Register the Hard Drives Which are SATA RAID i think not totally sure, I made sure before putting them into the system they were totally wiped so nothing was left on them but, They still wont Show up, Changed Cables etc, Put them into another Comp, nothing

How many hard drives do you have? I'm assuming two.

How did you wipe them?

issoc said:
I did think HDD Failure but.. When i start up the System, i can see a Configuration Menu Option for the Hard drives, so The Motherboard is registering the Hard Drives but they arnt showing up in BIOS nore Windows Setup so i cant Install anything

Any Ideas Would be Brill

Thx

Iso

What exactly appears when you boot? You mention a configuration menu. Text?

Did you manage to enter the RAID setup menu?

Does the motherboard actually support RAID?

Have you tried inserting a Windows CD (I'm assuming you're using Windows and not Linux) and seen whether Windows finds the disk(s)?

When you wiped the hard disks were they formatted?

We need to fill in a few blanks here because something, and probably something obvious, is amiss.

Reaction score
The Motherboard that i took out was a Motherboard used in a Medion PC, The Make was Microstar, Didnt see a Model Number on the actual board, The Memory i had to replace because the memory from the old board was DDR, The Other was DD2, CPU was Pentium 4, Now it's Pentium D.

The Hard drives i wiped using a program (Cant remember name, I'll look when i get home), they were totally wiped and i made sure so no Imcompabilitys could interrupt. Yes the new Motherboard is RAID Compabiltable, Because it orginally was in a computer that used HDD's That used RAID Config HDD's The Motherboard it self is about 2 years old, The old Motherboard was about 4, coming on 5, Yes it is 2 Hard Drives Im using, Atm I've tried using 1, So i can get the OS running but so far no luck

Well, I start it up i get to the Processor then i go through POST, It says after that i have the option to go into RAID Setup, Where it detects the HDD's, So Im not entirly sure if the Motherboard has Seperate Drivers for using RAID HDD's or w/e Then Ofc theres The BIOS, All it reads is the Two DVD Roms in IDE, Nothing in SATA Ports, Which the HDD's are running through so im kinda stumped, I've tried to setup the HDD's so they are in RAID 0, and the 2nd HDD in RAID 1, but still nothing. Windows setup it says Unknown Discs for the 2 DVD roms which it should, but it appears to pick up the HDD's so i think the HDD's need to be setup into the right setup, A friend of mine is gonna take a look to see if he can get any progress with it, I'll keep you guys informed...

Iso

Ask a Question