Hard Drive Noise

Reaction score
I don’t know if this is a normal hard drive noise or not. I bought new SATA Western Digital 250GB hard drive. After I installed operating system and start using the hard drive I can hear some noise. This noise is not loud. I am sure you guys have heard this noise a lot. Hard drive makes noise when you try to access any thing (like file, folder, program). It does not make any noise when the hard drive is idle. Noise is more like (it is hard to explain in word. I will try my best.) the noise of boiling water (not boiling but when water start to boil). It is more like low rattling noise. Does anyone have any opinion?

Thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Tape it ... and post it here. :D

OK, maybe not then ... ;)

A faint, to me anyway, as I'm nearly all but deaf these days, noise is nothing to worry over. Some drives, even from the same manufacturer, are whisper quiet, some we consider noisy, especially if we are conscious of 'em.

There are many "diagnostics" tools one can download from 'tinternet, the first one I would go get is from the drive manufacturers own web site. Be careful, you don't want to do anything destructive with any tools.

Simply running CHKDSK using the /f /r switches (chkdsk /f /r) and re-booting to allow it to actually work should suffice. ;)

However, if a "hard clicking" is heard, quite loud, usually accompanied with crashes, but not always, I would be backing up my data ASAP and looking for a new HD. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
OHhh I hate noisy harrdrives!!I really do!

Western Digital are poor for noise

have you checked your hardrive caddy?
ie what the harddrive is in

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys.
It hasn’t crashed yet. It just makes the noise. I can live with that noise. My concern is since it is brand new hard drive I can bring it back while I have a time. Muckshifter I do have diagnostic cd that came with the hard drive. May be I should run that once.

Psd99 hard drive fits fine on the caddy. Now since you brought up the caddy point, can I place the hard drive vertical not horizontal. My tower has both option but I wasn’t sure about the vertical option cause I haven’t seen hard drive placed that way. If I can then let me know cause vertical position has more screw option. Horizontal position only has two-screw option.
Thanks

Reaction score
A bit of noise from the hard drive is normal.

If it drowns out your voice then you may have an issue... :D

Reaction score
mmm vertical or horizontal
i don't think it would matter for performance.

although it would look somewhat strange putting it vertical!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Most old-style desktops, the flat boxes that your monitor sat on, had their HD mounted vertically.

Now, the old 5.25" HDs you had to handled with kid-gloves, balanced on a gyroscope, not forgetting to park the heads on shutdown and nobody breath in front of the PC ...
nod.gif

It don't matter these days with the modern HD. ;)

If you do move the drive, try some of them thin rubber spacers you can get from the likes of Maplins. :thumb:

user.gif

Ask a Question