Hard Drive in PIO Mode - Need help desperately!!!

G

I have a problem with a Maxtor 120 Gig drive that Win2K forces into PIO mode. There are 2 drives on the system a WD 80 GB drive as C and a Maxtor 120GB drive as E (I have a cdrw + dvdrw as D & F). When I recently did a fresh reinstall on Win2K the both HDDs ran in UltraDMA mode.

I started installing my drivers 1.) NVidia mainbaord driver (newest available) rebooted and checked drives. They were both still in Ultra DMA

2.) NVidia video driver. Rebooted and bother drives still ok
3.) Sound card driver Rebooted Both drives OK

Ran the machine for a while with shutdowns and new starts and everything ran fine. Both drives stayed in UDMA

Started adding Service packs.
1.) IE 6 SP1 rebooted Maxtor drive now at PIO mode
2.) Added Win2K Svc Pk 4 WD drive ok MAxtor drive still in PIO mode.

3.) tried a different manufacturer hdd and it came up in UDMA mode.

I spoke at great lengths to Maxtor and they say it is a Windows issue. I told them that when I tried a different drive it came up in DMA mode and they said that it was probably UDMA 5 where their drive is UDMA 6 and Win2K does not support this.

OK!! So what do I do now?? Is there a way to run this drive in my Win2K system?? I have been fighting with this problem for over a week and need to get it resolved.

Is there a fix for this? If so please give me a step by step way to fix it.

Thanks

R

Rick

Maxtor is correct. If you've applied SP2 or higher, Win2K might
display an incorrect value (PIO) for your drive, even though it *is*
running in DMA mode. See the "More Information" section here:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q260/2/33.ASP

Rick

Dig said:
I have a problem with a Maxtor 120 Gig drive that Win2K forces into PIO mode. There are 2 drives on the system a WD 80 GB drive as
C and a Maxtor 120GB drive as E (I have a cdrw + dvdrw as D & F). When I recently did a fresh reinstall on Win2K the both HDDs ran
in UltraDMA mode.
I started installing my drivers 1.) NVidia mainbaord driver (newest available) rebooted and checked drives. They were both still in Ultra DMA

2.) NVidia video driver. Rebooted and bother drives still ok
3.) Sound card driver Rebooted Both drives OK

Ran the machine for a while with shutdowns and new starts and everything ran fine. Both drives stayed in UDMA

Started adding Service packs.
1.) IE 6 SP1 rebooted Maxtor drive now at PIO mode
2.) Added Win2K Svc Pk 4 WD drive ok MAxtor drive still in PIO mode.

3.) tried a different manufacturer hdd and it came up in UDMA mode.

I spoke at great lengths to Maxtor and they say it is a Windows issue. I told them that when I tried a different drive it came up
in DMA mode and they said that it was probably UDMA 5 where their drive is UDMA 6 and Win2K does not support this.
OK!! So what do I do now?? Is there a way to run this drive in my Win2K system?? I have been fighting with this problem for over a
week and need to get it resolved.

Ask a Question