PIO mode part 2 - Help

G

Ok. I reinstalled Win2K fresh. I had a new 80GB WD drive as c and an my WD 80GB drive as d. I also have a CD-rw and a dvd-rw.

I read all the microsft tech sheets on this problem and made a little tweak to the registry. Something about UltrDMA66 enable. I restarted Windows and both my hard drives were in UltraDMA mode. Hoooray!! they were running like the wind. Files that took 30 minutes to save (yes over 500mb files) save now in less than 1 1/2 minutes.

I then went to channel 2 and noticed that my cd-rw and dvd-rw were in PIO so I set that channel to DMA if available. Rebooted and check then second channel and noticed that they CD & DVD went to UltraDMA. Great I noticed a difference in how quickly they burned their respective media.

So just for laughs the next day I checked bot channels again after booting up and channel one now has the C drive in PIO mode. And believe me I can tell the difference. The D drive is still in UltraDMA (which is crazy because it was the other way around before I reinstalled Win2K).

The D drive save files beautifully but the C drive is killing me.

What in the name of heaven in wrong here??? Why can't I get everything to run in UltraDMA?? Why is windows being so crazy? What must I do to fix it?

Help.....stuck in ole PIO mode again (sung to Clearwater Revival's, Stuck in Ole Lodi Again).
Thanks

R

Rick

Strange.. Have you tried a different IDE cable on the primary
channel? Also try moving your second hard disk to master on
channel 2, and have both your CD and DVD be slaves.

Rick

Dig said:
Ok. I reinstalled Win2K fresh. I had a new 80GB WD drive as c and an my WD 80GB drive as d. I also have a CD-rw and a dvd-rw.

I read all the microsft tech sheets on this problem and made a little tweak to the registry. Something about UltrDMA66 enable. I
restarted Windows and both my hard drives were in UltraDMA mode. Hoooray!! they were running like the wind. Files that took 30
minutes to save (yes over 500mb files) save now in less than 1 1/2 minutes.
I then went to channel 2 and noticed that my cd-rw and dvd-rw were in PIO so I set that channel to DMA if available. Rebooted and
check then second channel and noticed that they CD & DVD went to UltraDMA. Great I noticed a difference in how quickly they burned
their respective media.
So just for laughs the next day I checked bot channels again after booting up and channel one now has the C drive in PIO mode. And
believe me I can tell the difference. The D drive is still in UltraDMA (which is crazy because it was the other way around before I
reinstalled Win2K).

S

Steve Duff [MVP]

I saw this problem a couple of years ago on an
HP something-or-other and it turned out to be
a BIOS problem -- the system would revert to
PIO (in the BIOS) at boot.

Save your sanity and get a $35 Ultra133
Promise, Highpoint or LSI card. They're faster
than the integrated IDEs anyway and
they have their own driver sets and BIOSen
that presents as a SCSI device and gets around
any issues with Windows or your system's IDE.

Steve Duff, MCSE
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

Dig said:

I read all the microsft tech sheets on this problem and made a little tweak to the registry. Something about UltrDMA66 enable. I
restarted Windows and both my hard drives were in UltraDMA mode. Hoooray!! they were running like the wind. Files that took 30
I then went to channel 2 and noticed that my cd-rw and dvd-rw were in PIO so I set that channel to DMA if available. Rebooted and
check then second channel and noticed that they CD & DVD went to UltraDMA. Great I noticed a difference in how quickly they burned
their respective media.
So just for laughs the next day I checked bot channels again after booting up and channel one now has the C drive in PIO mode. And
believe me I can tell the difference. The D drive is still in UltraDMA (which is crazy because it was the other way around before I
reinstalled Win2K).

R

Russ Tanner

you know, that is just what I did a couple of years ago, bought a Maxtor PCI
IDE card. I was having problems with VIA chipsets and IDE problems.

That was the end of my problems.

--
Russ Tanner
Palmer, Alaska
email: russ at tannersacre.com
http://www.tannersacre.com

Steve Duff said:
I saw this problem a couple of years ago on an
HP something-or-other and it turned out to be
a BIOS problem -- the system would revert to
PIO (in the BIOS) at boot.

Save your sanity and get a $35 Ultra133
Promise, Highpoint or LSI card. They're faster
than the integrated IDEs anyway and
they have their own driver sets and BIOSen
that presents as a SCSI device and gets around
any issues with Windows or your system's IDE.

Steve Duff, MCSE
Ergodic Systems, Inc.
tweak to the registry. Something about UltrDMA66 enable. I
restarted Windows and both my hard drives were in UltraDMA mode. Hoooray!!
they were running like the wind. Files that took 30
PIO so I set that channel to DMA if available. Rebooted and
check then second channel and noticed that they CD & DVD went to UltraDMA.
Great I noticed a difference in how quickly they burned
their respective media.
booting up and channel one now has the C drive in PIO mode. And
believe me I can tell the difference. The D drive is still in UltraDMA
(which is crazy because it was the other way around before I
reinstalled Win2K).
to run in UltraDMA?? Why is windows being so crazy? What

Ask a Question