Hard Drive Error detection

G

Is there any way to disable the hard drive error reporting dialog. I am
getting the warning every time the C drive is accessed - I have found no
errors with chk disk, diskeeper and the device manager reports the drive is
operating properly.
Is there any way to disable this process?

A

AJR

EdC - bad idea to disable a warning function instead of determining the
reason for the warning - Have you checked for malware, etc.?

G

Geo.

Hard drive SMART monitoring is enabled and disabled via the BIOS but if it were me, I'd want to know the cause of the warning. It's important to realise that SMART does not warn of an existing problem, it predicts an impending one based on changes in one or more of several parameters that it monitors such as spinup time and drive temperature, etc.

For more explicit information on your drive's condition you can download the free DiskCheckup application from Passmark;
http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

DiskCheckup is intended for Win 95/98/NT/XP but I have checked and it also runs on Vista. Extract the files and click on the application icon. It will open a blank window, i.e. no monitoring information. To display the info. click on the the appropriate drive icon at the top of the window. Drive specification details are displayed under one tab, monitoring data under the other with the predicted time to failure where applicable.

Geo.

Ask a Question