hard drive brands

Reaction score
hey

am going to purchase a western digital external 200gb HD, just wondering about this brand??
not one i've come across before in my sheltered life... any good or not? are they terrible? have not a clue.

and what about maxtor have heard lots of good things, is it worth getting one of those over western digital?

but then, does it matter that much? after all it's only a storage unit.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Western Digital are pretty good, in fact I don't have any bad comments about any of the major hard drive manufacturers (apart from the now defunct IBM hard drive division).

Western Digital/Seagate/Maxtor are all pretty good, so I don't think you can go wrong with it. Some WD drives come with a 3 year warranty too, which is a big plus!

Reaction score
Ians right, the big brands are usually ok. But the only drives i have never had a problem with are seagate. I would always go for a seagate given the option. But there are probably people who would always go for western digital etc.

Im sure the one you are going for will be fine.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
what do yall figure to be the "best" HDD manufacturer?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
what do yall figure to be the "best" HDD manufacturer?
No such thing.

I've seen this topic debated for the last six years or so and there is no clear winner.

Everybody's got their own good luck/horror stories about every single major brand, it really is just luck of the draw.

Seems to me, no matter how good the specification and design laid down by the manufacturer, they are at the mercy of the factory that produces them.

So, really, it's kinda pot luck.

Myself, for what it's worth, am kinda fond of Western Digital, even though I had one 120Gb disk die within four weeks of purchase.

And oddly enough I've never had a Maxtor disk fail on me, but I've only ever bought three of them.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
No such thing.

I've seen this topic debated for the last six years or so and there is no clear winner.

i totaly agree with you, i feel exactly the same!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If you need the best advise on which HD is the best look no further than this very thread. If I had posted before Ian & Flops I would probably come up with exactly the same opinion.

Folks on average upgrade their computers and/or hard drives every 2-3 years and if any manufacturer gives a 3 year warranty, it basically means a Lifetime warranty, you just cannot go wrong with that.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to buy :)

Ask a Question