Hall of shame

LaRoux

Has anyone else noticed that the vast majority of compatibility problems
people are having seem to be confined to just a few vendors?

Here's my opinion of the major brands that people should steer away from
until they bring their products up to spec. For some of these, it may just
be that their market share is making it seem more noticeable but all the
more reason why they should have been ready on the ball BEFORE the general
release of Vista. I'm not buying the line (Adobe) that they couldn't test
until Vista was publicly available since RTM was available to everyone else
who wanted it for testing back in November. It seems to me that they just
didn't put any sort of priority on it.

Obviously, this isn't representative of all the issues but this fairly short
list seems like maybe 50-70%.

Hardware:
Sony laptops
Acer laptops
NVIDIA graphics
ASUS motherboards
LG DVD writers
Linksys wireless products
Creative Labs sound cards

Software:
Adobe
Nero
Norton
Intuit
Apple

Nominate your candidates.

Mark

I've been the victim of:

ASUS motherboard (BIOS, RealTek'97)
Nvidia (7300 GS)
Adobe (Flash Player, Adobe 8)
Nero (Nero 7)

Overcame all of the above. Nvidia still produces Critical Errors.

Adam Albright

[...]

You should't use too wide a brush, depends on model. I have a Nvidia
graphic card that works fine. So does my LG DVD writer.
Software:
Adobe
Nero

Photoshop works fine. Nero too, for me. You're mileage may vary.

LaRoux

My broad stroke was meant more as a general lack of attention, not to say
that all their products have problems. Some have already fixed their issues
(Nero) so I'm really just saying they could have avoided a lot of problems
for their customers if they had a compatible current version a couple of
months earlier.

And of course Realtex HD audio. I don't think it has blue screened but it
was flakey in some apps.

Steve Marriott

Pinnacle Studio products. Their web site says that V10 is compatible and it
says to buy their upgrade version if you own studio 9. When you try and
install the upgrade V10, it says it is not Vista compatible and tells you to
read the read.me file on the installation DVD. The read.me file tells you
to navigate to the Studio Vista Install directory on the DVD and follow the
instructions there. BUT there is no such directory and Pinnacle refuses to
take back software that has been opened. How the crap do we determine that
it won't work as advertised if we don't open it?

You remind me - Microsoft Webcams. Vista is programmed to say they don't
work and to download 120MB file (@ 12c per MB).

LaRoux

Now this is more like outright fraud. If you are in the US, contact your
state Attorney General or at least tell the Pinnacle guys you're going to.
It may not get your money back but may give you some satisfaction.

NoStop

Steve said:
Pinnacle Studio products. Their web site says that V10 is compatible and
it
says to buy their upgrade version if you own studio 9. When you try and
install the upgrade V10, it says it is not Vista compatible and tells you
read the read.me file on the installation DVD. The read.me file tells you
to navigate to the Studio Vista Install directory on the DVD and follow
the
instructions there. BUT there is no such directory and Pinnacle refuses
take back software that has been opened. How the crap do we determine
that it won't work as advertised if we don't open it?
Hmmm, good point. I guess that is why I've learned to avoid proprietary
software and use open source software. The latter runs best on
GNU/Linux. :)

Cheers.

--
The "Wow" starts now.

"No sane person wants Vista, so Microsoft is making sure they have no
choice."
http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html

I've always found it better to run compatible hardware and software. If you
were older you would remember the early days of Dos and how nothing might
work with anything else.

<Minor Point>
I learnt really quick the MS are scum and rip people off and avoid
responsibility by diffusing responsibility so wide noone anywhere is
responsible for anything. The menu and mouse hating current crop at MS will,
I predict, see a decline (at least in any trend figures) in the number of
programs used by a user. In Dos, if programs would work on it (they had to
follow really, really, slow rules to work on all Dos machines - noone did),
users tended to use less applications than Mac users - with Windows breaking
of the menu paradigm this means learning can't be generalised.

<Major Point>
If you like buying software, and Microsoft didn't write it (they nobble
their own programs for commercial robbery), then Windows is the one to buy.
Ditto for hardware (again except MS as their crap has gone from best to
worse - anyone want a laser mouse that can't point).

I regard Linux (the religion not the operating system) as a vandal,
destroying what small compatability we had. I never check requirements. I
expect non MS programs to work (and I expect your Office's to also work -
consumer software is where MS is extra unethical). The only good thing is
that it's a piss poor design so it will probably not become mainstream. If
it does I predict you will no longer post here as the Mac idiots finally
left (or converted to linux).

Our sense of self has many layers - one is our possessions as advertisers
well know. Do you think I would want to own linux, or to put another way, to
be part of the Linux community. Filled with vandals attempting to destroy
any sense of control consumers have over these very expensive
machine/software. Compelled to spam Windows groups from jelously because you
gave up compatability.

MS actually employ these silly linux children. They have no sense of
history. They are mouse and UI generally unfriendly (forgetting why it
became popular). They believe everyone should use a keyboard. And they
forget being unable to buy something they want because it might be throwing
away money. Ever used MS-Dos on the Apriciot. Pretty much only MSDos
utilities ran on it (and one software company made a works type package for
it). Yep no Wordstar, Wordperfect, probably no Word (as noone used it then,
it didn't matter), Lotus 123, AND NO GAMES.

Compatability matters.

CS

LaRoux said:
[...]

Throw ATI on that list, preferably on top. They're refusal to provide Vista
drivers for their AIW cards has made me an Nvidia customer for good. Right
now the 7950GTX on my laptop is working just fine.
Software:
Adobe
Nero
Norton
Intuit
Apple

Norton has been on the list for years, due to their bloat ware. The last
good software they put out came on 3 1/2" floppies.

On top of the Software list, of course, would be Microsoft themselves.
Instead of goofy software, how about a simple, easy to read list of hardware
and software that works with Vista. Perhaps Microsoft could have slowly
weaned their customers off Vista-incompatible software and hardware for the
past couple years, instead of letting folks spend their hard earned money on
stuff they can't use.

Oh, and they might have made their own OS work with their own software. I
had to wait for updates before I could sync my Windows Mobile devices.
Nothing fatal, but kind of annoying.

So far, I've been happy with Vista. Kind of a pain to find where they hid
all the usual gadgets, but it is fairly fast and pretty, and it's about time
I get rid of my older, long-in-the-tooth software.

CS

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Dear All,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

At this moment, I'd like to say Windows Vista is newest released product.
Maybe currently some hardware devices and software are not completely
compatible with it. However, I believe the most of new computer devices or
software from different manufacturers will be compatible with Windows Vista
in the future. If your specific device is not working in Windows Vista, you
may contact the device manufacturer to confirm if they have any update
software or driver for Vista capable. Thanks again for your support for our
new products.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "LaRoux" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Hall of shame
| Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:44:21 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Has anyone else noticed that the vast majority of compatibility problems
| people are having seem to be confined to just a few vendors?
|
| Here's my opinion of the major brands that people should steer away from
| until they bring their products up to spec. For some of these, it may
just
| be that their market share is making it seem more noticeable but all the
| more reason why they should have been ready on the ball BEFORE the
general
| release of Vista. I'm not buying the line (Adobe) that they couldn't test
| until Vista was publicly available since RTM was available to everyone
else
| who wanted it for testing back in November. It seems to me that they just
| didn't put any sort of priority on it.
|
| Obviously, this isn't representative of all the issues but this fairly
short
| list seems like maybe 50-70%.
|
| Hardware:
| Sony laptops
| Acer laptops
| NVIDIA graphics
| ASUS motherboards
| LG DVD writers
| Linksys wireless products
| Creative Labs sound cards
|
| Software:
| Adobe
| Nero
| Norton
| Intuit
| Apple
|
| Nominate your candidates.

I spent $4000. After buying a VX3000 web cam (and it's been years since I
last used a web cam - it's there just in case) I then had to spend $14
downloading at 12c/MB 120 MB drivers (for a web cam). (I actually now pay an
extra $240 a year (and I have to do it all after midnight).

Not to mention the same for NVidia, which for the bandwidth there and in
downloading Dreamscene, means my user mode display driver crashes all the
time (and if not that then the shell crashes or a NVidia blue screen).

Microsoft knows people will be using NVidia cards. MS Knew VX3000 web cam
aren't vista compatible (because some put it in the AppCompat list).
Therefore it is arguable that it is not fit for the purpose for which it is
sold.

I am now permanently offline so you MICROSOFT stop stealing my bandwidth.
You cannot use it. And so I have to click millions of dialogs a day. And as
you may not know these dialogs come at least two at a time. So I have to
click cancel twice. Frequently.

Try to use the help that's been downgraded to win95 standard. Tricky links
as MS tries to generate traffic on the network they used to own. Resulting
in two Connect dialogs.

As you have never learnt to write web pages it means your site doesn't
qualify as a site to visit. Can you show me the user research that shows
users want to be forced into inactivity for up to several minutes to read 1
f'ckin paragraph.

I use google cache to view MS's site. But MS is determined to remove all
acceptable access to it so many pages ane now non cachable (also Google is
more likely to be able to search MS site than MS). For this reason I paid
you about $20 last month to get a large section of it on CD - because it
isn't available online. Humans measure in milliseconds. 30 seconds for this
page, 2 minutes for this one.

I changed phone companies because they used ASP. It was no longer possible
to deal with them. This Microsoft partner had page 7 of 19 types wizard. But
ASP/IIS/SQL are most unlikely to work correctly 7 times in a row. Meaning
you were up to your old tricks (this is where I learnt that you were evil).

Please advise when Microsoft expects to reimburse me for your charges that
you incurred on my account to make your goods barely fit for the purpose
which it was sold.

Funny how internal processes to solve your internal problems of content
management paid no attention to if it could actually show a web page on the
same day the request arrived.

Hope it's freezing there, and I hope you have a stinking hot summer.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Dear All,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

At this moment, I'd like to say Windows Vista is newest released product.
Maybe currently some hardware devices and software are not completely
compatible with it. However, I believe the most of new computer devices or
software from different manufacturers will be compatible with Windows
Vista
in the future. If your specific device is not working in Windows Vista,
you
may contact the device manufacturer to confirm if they have any update
software or driver for Vista capable. Thanks again for your support for
our
new products.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
rights.

--------------------
| From: "LaRoux" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Hall of shame
| Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:44:21 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Has anyone else noticed that the vast majority of compatibility problems
| people are having seem to be confined to just a few vendors?
|
| Here's my opinion of the major brands that people should steer away from
| until they bring their products up to spec. For some of these, it may
just
| be that their market share is making it seem more noticeable but all the
| more reason why they should have been ready on the ball BEFORE the
general
| release of Vista. I'm not buying the line (Adobe) that they couldn't
test
| until Vista was publicly available since RTM was available to everyone
else
| who wanted it for testing back in November. It seems to me that they
just
| didn't put any sort of priority on it.
|
| Obviously, this isn't representative of all the issues but this fairly
short
| list seems like maybe 50-70%.
|
| Hardware:
| Sony laptops
| Acer laptops
| NVIDIA graphics
| ASUS motherboards
| LG DVD writers
| Linksys wireless products
| Creative Labs sound cards
|
| Software:
| Adobe
| Nero
| Norton
| Intuit
| Apple
|
| Nominate your candidates.

Mossie

Hardware:
Sony laptops
Acer laptops
NVIDIA graphics
ASUS motherboards
LG DVD writers
Linksys wireless products
Creative Labs sound cards

Software:
Adobe
Nero
Norton
Intuit
Apple

Nominate your candidates.

I have an LG DVD writer, it works but seems much slower than it should
be. To the software list add Roxio. Claims Easy Media Creator 9 is
fully vista compatible but it gives a driver error, put my dvd drives so
they couldn't be ejected, disabled autoplay and then doesn't uninstall
properly.

That's normal for commercial software. What are you whinging about?

I actually have almost no software to buy. They have all been banned for
fraud. MS has been adept at pursuading law enforcement that computers are
different and people expect to buy (ie PAY) for goods that don't work in
breach of statuary law (State level Sale Of Goods Act, goods must be
suitable - Federal level the Trade Practice's Act, no misleading or
deceptive advertising and manufactures incur liabilities that sellers have
under common law).

LaRoux

I guess I can only go off of the fact that other companies were able to get
their stuff done in time. Plus a lot of what's wrong isn't technical per se,
more of a problem with UAC and admin privileges which has been well known
for a long time.