Guide Plus hides my mouse pointer

G

G.M. Durrence

I have an ATI all in wonder 2006 256 MB. I installed all software
from the installation disk and for the most part it works OK.

When I run Guide Plus my mouse pointer disappears at times. When I
move off the right side and come back it disappears under Guide Plus.
I can move over to the left border and come back and it usually
re-appears but then as I move it around it appears and disappears
randomly. I configured my mouse in Control Panel so I can see where
it is by pressing Ctrl and the mouse works but I cant see the pointer.

Any suggestions?

G.M. Durrence
(to reply remove -nospam from address)

T

Todd

GM,

I remember having this problem and found the answer at www.Rage3d.com in their
Multimedia forum. For what it's worth, here it is:

"With the T.V. app shud down, run REGEDIT. Delete the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI
Technologies\MultiMedia\Features\TV\Display] . Or, you can change the subkey "DisplaySize"
to 0 (zero), but that doesn't always fix it. If you just delete the key, you will also
lose some other settings, like "always on top," "crop video," and "aspect ratio." if
you've changed them from default, but your mouse pointer should come back."

Another fellow added this to the first answer:

"Thank you very much for your suggestion. I set DisplaySize to 0 and started TV. When it
started, it came up in Full Screen mode and the TV Listings worked without the cursor
disappearing.

What I found so far is that if I set DisplaySize to 0, 1, 2 or 3, the cursor does not
disappear. No matter what TV screen size I had been in previously, the TV started in Full
Screen mode.

Setting DisplaySize to 4 results in a disappearing cursor.

Another thing I noticed is that when the cursor is working properly, I can queer the
operation by resizing the TV screen to any other size. After that, the cursor disappears.
Also, after resizing the TV window, upon exit from TV, the value of DisplaySize is set to
4 which poisons the system the next time TV is restarted.

It sure seems like the ATI software has a flaw in how it handles these values but if so,
why don't more users have the same problem?

I tried deleting the DisplaySize value from the registry but it re-establishes itself.
There is another value called PreviousSize but it didn't seem to matter what its value was
because for DisplaySize values other than 4, TV started in Full Screen mode.

There is another difference I've noticed that I thought was a problem but chalked-up to
that's the way it is. Previously, when I clicked on the GuidePlus icon, the TV Listing
appeared but after a few seconds was replaced by just the TV screen and the Controls. Now,
after setting DisplaySize to one of the "good" values, clicking the GuidePlus icon goes to
the TV Listings and stays there with a cursor that does not diappear.

For now, I have to avoid changing the TV screen size once the system is initialized
correctly."

I hope this helps ;)

G

G.M. Durrence

Thanks a bunch,

I changed the DisplaySize to 3 and it works perfectly.

GM,

"With the T.V. app shud down, run REGEDIT. Delete the key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI
Technologies\MultiMedia\Features\TV\Display] . Or, you can change the subkey "DisplaySize"
to 0 (zero), but that doesn't always fix it. If you just delete the key, you will also
lose some other settings, like "always on top," "crop video," and "aspect ratio." if

"Thank you very much for your suggestion. I set DisplaySize to 0 and started TV. When it
started, it came up in Full Screen mode and the TV Listings worked without the cursor
disappearing.

What I found so far is that if I set DisplaySize to 0, 1, 2 or 3, the cursor does not
disappear. No matter what TV screen size I had been in previously, the TV started in Full
Screen mode.

Another thing I noticed is that when the cursor is working properly, I can queer the
operation by resizing the TV screen to any other size. After that, the cursor disappears.
Also, after resizing the TV window, upon exit from TV, the value of DisplaySize is set to

It sure seems like the ATI software has a flaw in how it handles these values but if so,

I tried deleting the DisplaySize value from the registry but it re-establishes itself.
There is another value called PreviousSize but it didn't seem to matter what its value was

There is another difference I've noticed that I thought was a problem but chalked-up to
that's the way it is. Previously, when I clicked on the GuidePlus icon, the TV Listing
appeared but after a few seconds was replaced by just the TV screen and the Controls. Now,
after setting DisplaySize to one of the "good" values, clicking the GuidePlus icon goes to

For now, I have to avoid changing the TV screen size once the system is initialized
correctly."

I hope this helps ;)

G.M. Durrence

G

G.M. Durrence

Great!

Changed DisplaySize to 3 and now it works OK.

Thanks

GM,

disappearing.

Screen mode.

correctly."

I hope this helps ;)

G.M. Durrence

T

Todd

Glad to help :)

It is these arcane little registry tweaks that can drive a person mad. How are you
supposed to know what these guys posted? Thank goodness for our geek gurus!!!

G

G.M. Durrence

I set DisplaySize to 3 and now it works OK

Thanks

GM,

disappearing.

Screen mode.

correctly."

I hope this helps ;)

G.M. Durrence

Ask a Question