Graphics card hell

Reaction score
I have fairly recently purchased a new graphics card for my son's computer. The spec of the computer is
Athlon 64 3200
512 RAM
250GB WDigital Raptor SATA
Saphire Radeon x1600 Pro.
Windows XP Home SP2
Mesh OEM KBV-MX/X motherboard - has proved impossible to update BIOS even if it would help.
Games were quite reliable until the original hard drive died and we also replaced the graphics card. Now we consistently get the error "out of range" or "no signal" and the machine crashes. These are the things we have tried so far.
1. Re-install Windows-reformat HD - visit Windows update and download all updates
2. Tweak various BIOS settings for AGP - ensure 8X, disable or enable CPU direct access to onchip VGA - make no difference, run at 800x600, change refresh rate to 60 Hz (monitor is Viewsonic VE710s LCD - supports up to 75Hz).
3. Adjust various settings in ATI 6.10 catalyst drivers minimise quality max performance.

We are so frustrated and about to bite the bullet and buy a new motherboard - or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Graham

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can see what the problem is - Mesh.

Get a new motherboard.

This one is an absolute bargain right now: DFI Board. Less than thirty quid.

I'm assuming your graphics card is pci-e. If it's AGP you'll have to buy a new graphics card as well.

Ask a Question