4MB Total )

* Case Details ~ Cooler Master Centurian 5

*Power Supply Details ~ Magna 500w Transparent ( with dual fans and fan
speed controller )

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Whether its value for money is difficult to say without knowing more about some of the componants.

It has a good start - the CPU is fine, but you need to ensure it is the latest G0 stepping version which runs cooler with lower power requirements, the motherboard is an excellent one for its price, the graphics card is adequate if your not into serious gaming, and LG do some good monitors.

However, before you even consider this you need to find out the make and spec of the memory, likewise the make/model of the case and what the 500W PSU is.

Where did you spec this?

Reaction score
Just adding to Ady's points on checking the brand of the memory, case and PSU, I would say that the graphics card is weak for the money.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I agree - the GPU although adequate if your not into much gaming, does not do the rest of the system justice.

Reaction score
I got it spec'd from my local PC ideas store.

What questions shall I ask him exactly? I can then get back to you guys with further info?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Be sure to ask Ady's first point of:

However, before you even consider this you need to find out the make and spec of the memory, likewise the make/model of the case and what the 500W PSU is.

Are you planning on doing gaming at all? If so you would want at least an 8600 card ideally :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You want to know:

Is the Q6600 CPU the G0 stepping version (the product code ends in 'SLACR')

What is the make/model and timings of the memory.

What is the make/model of the Case.

What is the make/model of the Power Supply Unit.

If they can't answer any of these questions walk away ;)

As Ian says, consider a better graphics card - and if you want to save some money to put towards it, cut back the memory to 2GB :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Aria are still selling the ATI Radeon 800 GT AIW for £25 a bargin if ever there was one .

:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
You want to know:

Is the Q6600 CPU the G0 stepping version (the product code ends in 'SLACR')

What is the make/model and timings of the memory.

What is the make/model of the Case.

What is the make/model of the Power Supply Unit.

If they can't answer any of these questions walk away ;)

As Ian says, consider a better graphics card - and if you want to save some money to put towards it, cut back the memory to 2GB :thumb:

thanks mate

will do that immediately and get back to you tomorrow

oh btw..im not going to be using it for gaming unless at somepoint in the future i decide to connect PS3 to the TFT monitor , lol

oH BTW...if you plan on watching movies etc...does the graphics card have an impact as well..or does that imply solely for gaming?

Reaction score
Here are the further details as requested:

* CPU Details ~ Intel Core 2 Quad Go Stepping ( 2.4Ghz 1066Mhz ) Soc 775 L2
8M Cache

*Memory Details ~ Crucial 1GB DDR2 667MHZ / PC2-5300 / CL5 / 1.8v X 4 (
4MB Total )

* Case Details ~ Cooler Master Centurian 5

*Power Supply Details ~ Magna 500w Transparent ( with dual fans and fan
speed controller )

So does it look good?

Reaction score
It all looks good except for the PSU.

I have never heard of Magna, but I have done 10 minutes of searching the old Googly and they seem to be a pretty standard unit in quite a few PCs. Apparently only of about a £10-15 worth, but havn't found any horror stories.

17a 12v rail, seems stable enough, but really a no go.

Go for something more in the £40 range, like an Enermax, Tagen or something and you will be nice and safe.

EDIT: http://computers.search.ebay.co.uk/...ftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ58058

Hmm. Definately look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
It all looks good except for the PSU.

I have never heard of Magna, but I have done 10 minutes of searching the old Googly and they seem to be a pretty standard unit in quite a few PCs. Apparently only of about a £10-15 worth, but havn't found any horror stories.

17a 12v rail, seems stable enough, but really a no go.

Go for something more in the £40 range, like an Enermax, Tagen or something and you will be nice and safe.

EDIT: http://computers.search.ebay.co.uk/...ftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ58058

Hmm. Definately look elsewhere.

what part does the PSU play mate in realtion to pc performance?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
BourneSupreme said:
what part does the PSU play mate in realtion to pc performance?
It's not so much the performance, but the overall stability and longevity of the PC. As the PSU provides power to all of the other items in the PC, it is one of the most important parts and essential to get something that won't fail. I bet many users on this site have bought a cheap PSU at some point and regretted it ;)

All of the other components look good, but I'd suggest seeing if there is a better quality PSU for peace of mind :) It's one of those things where it could be fine for 5 years, or it could cause a problem and damage something after 2 years. It shouldn't cost much more to get a better one, and the rest of the system looks good :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Considering how cheap memory is these days I'd be wanting 800mhz memory as a bottom line .

nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Considering how cheap memory is these days I'd be wanting 800mhz memory as a bottom line .

nod.gif

The memnory on this is good though, isnt it?

BTW, Thermaltake Toughpower WO116 750w PSU - Add £39.00

is this a better PSU?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'd go with the Thermaltake meself . The memory is good but its pretty slow for the rest of the machine . To be honest for the money you are spending you could build your self a better spec pc .

Reaction score
That is a much better PSU.

Seems a little bit on the pricey side for what you are getting but it seems to all be good quality stuff.

You sure you wouldn't consider building your own?

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I'd go with the Thermaltake meself . The memory is good but its pretty slow for the rest of the machine . To be honest for the money you are spending you could build your self a better spec pc .

unless you know someone who can build it at a better price...im more than willing to pay them, lol

Ask a Question