Google SMTP server not responding

Mary Ellen

I'm having trouble configuring my Google account. I keep getting this
message:
"Your SMTP server has not responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait
another 60 seconds for the server to respond?
"Account: pop.gmail.com
"Server: smtp.gmail.com"

I seem to be able to send mail from the Google website so their server is
probably OK.

Any advice?

Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

The server on the website has nothing to do with the SMTP server.

Next time you get that error message, click Cancel. That should produce
a more complete error message which will include the protocol type,
port number, and SSL option status. Right-click on that error message,
copy, then paste it into a reply here.
We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message.

Also check your settings with these instructions:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86383

vanessab

I am having a similar problem - I have reset all of my settings on gmail and
on outlook to match. i just received this error "An unknown error has
occurred. Subject 'O.R.M., Incorporated - Backlog Summary - Detail Report',
Account: 'imap.gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server
Response: '421 4.7.0 Temporary System Problem. Try again later ().
m29sm55933920qck.28', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 421, Error
Number: 0x800CCC67"

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Your settings look correct. It appears to be a temporary server malfunction.
How long has this problem been going on?

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)