Good PC for music studio?

Reaction score
I have been asked to build a basic PC for a friend whose main aim is to use the Internet and be ble to link his machine to an electric organ and basic music mixing desk.

I know absolutely nothing about hi-fi stuff, and even less about using a PC in a home music studio (basically he wants to be able to record his electric guitar and keyboard playing and overlay tracks with different instruments...he can already do this with his mixing desk, but wants to hook a PC up to it as well)

Does anyone out there do this kind of thing? If yes, what sort of setup would you recommend?

Any other tips?

Ta very much :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello 1nt, welcome back ...

All computers have a “Midi” interface, you know, that socket that you plug your joystick in, as long as the “connecting device” has also a Midi interface then it’s all down to software.

Cakewalk springs to mind

;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind is that you will need LOTS of RAM to run software like this, and I'd guess 512 is a recommended minimum.

If your friend is going to play the music back over the MIDI interface, or use the on board synthesis, they will probably need a pretty good sound card too.

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/ is a site I'd trust for reviews on sound equipment - despite the pop ups!

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have been told that an older soundcard (Soundblaster Live, for example) with a joyport, is best for snag-free midi connection.

Also, the following software has been recommended:
Reason 2.5
Acid 4
Soundforge 6 or 7

What the hell are they? Would you support this advice?

1nt.

Reaction score
Reason and Sound Forge are both top notch programs. Reason is a synth, sampler, and a ton of other things wrapped up together. Very cool. Sound Forge is a music editing software, which is fairly easy to use and has loads of options. Both are highly recommended

Ask a Question