GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

James

I tried to run return to castle wolfenstien on my new
computer with windows xp and receieved the following
error message. Have tried with other games nd get same
error message at the botom. How do i reslove it ?

Wolf 1.32 win-x86 May 1 2002
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1\main\sp_pak3.pk3 (14 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1\main\sp_pak2.pk3 (232 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1\main\sp_pak1.pk3 (1342 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1\main\pak0.pk3 (4775 files)
C:\PROGRA~1\RETURN~1/main

----------------------
6363 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec language.cfg
execing wolfconfig.cfg
execing autoexec.cfg
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
....detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!
Bypassing CD checks
----- Client Initialization -----
Cmd_AddCommand: map_restart already defined
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
....initializing QGL
....calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINNT\System32
\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
....setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
....using desktop display depth of 16
....calling CDS: ok
....registered window class
....created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
....getting DC: succeeded
....GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 24, 8 )
....35 PFDs found
....GLW_ChoosePFD failed
....GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 24, 0 )
....35 PFDs found
....GLW_ChoosePFD failed
....failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
....restoring display settings
....WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
....setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
....using colorsbits of 16
....calling CDS: ok
....created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
....getting DC: succeeded
....GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 24, 8 )
....35 PFDs found
....GLW_ChoosePFD failed
....GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 24, 0 )
....35 PFDs found
....GLW_ChoosePFD failed
....failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
....restoring display settings
....WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
....shutting down QGL
....unloading OpenGL DLL
....assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
....initializing QGL
....WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx
available
....shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )

Yves Leclerc

Install the latest video drivers from the video card manufacturer! The
default video drivers in XP are not complete drivers and do not have OpenGL
files.

Y.

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

There is OpenGL support in Windows XP right out of the box, but it is only a
software renderer. It is provided by the opengl32.dll file in your system32
directory. There is no hardware accelerated support without the
manufacturers ICD installed. This game needs hardware acceleration to run,
and thus the error.

Joshua Smith
DirectInput Test Lab
Microsoft