Glastonbury 2007

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Glastonbury 2007 really wasn’t a lot of fun to be quite honest.

Me and me mate Roy left Wednesday mid morning got there about 3pm, parked up then trekked a good 3/4 mile to where we were to camp. The weather was good at that stage, mild sun, stiff breeze.

Fortunately our friends had taken our tents, arrived there Monday and put them up for us. Also, we were in the camping area reserved for all the theatrical and circus performers which was separate from the public camping area. To get in and out of this area you needed an extra wrist band and a laminate pass.

As I know a couple of the performers at the festival – a comedienne named Harriet Bowden and former Squeeze frontman Glen Tilbrook – this wasn’t a problem. The theatre camping area had it’s own large bar marquee with a stage for bands to play and also a large restaurant marquee that sold good cheap food, so that was good.

Little did I know at this stage that I would actually spend probably 50% of the festival in that bloody bar tent watching one unknown band after another, sheltering from the rain.

Still, I’m not ungrateful, I was kinda privileged to have some respite that others weren’t privy too. The theatrical camping area also had hot water showers, another bonus.

Spent Wednesday evening in the bar tent, caught a couple of really good bands, one of which was called Cats and Cats and Cats, and managed to blag their CD album from them with promises of ‘I can get you gigs in SE London’ :D They were from Staines – could be worse…. ;)

On Thursday morning we all heard that one of our friends, Warrington, had died. His name was Steve Warrington but everybody called him by his surname. I don't know how he died but he was found at his home by his mother at 4am Thursday morning. Over the last few years he had slipped into alcoholism and his health had declined, we all spoke to him, tried to stop him, but he seemed determined to drink himself to death.

Looks like he succeeded, the funeral's July 12th. This really was not a good start to the Festival, tears were shed by most of the girlies and a few of the guys, myself included. I seem to be of that age where my peers seem to be passing on, scary...

It rained on and off Thursday, but not too bad, had a good stroll around the site. Glen played the bar marquee in the evening, as did John Otway.

On Friday the rain came down heavy on and off until late afternoon but mercifully stayed away for me to go and see Bloc Party on the main Pyramid stage. They were brilliant. Fortunately for both Friday and Saturday evenings, it didn’t rain at all.

From there I strolled round to the other stage to see Arcade Fire but I was too early so I stayed to see Rufus Wainwright (who I believe Steve (Nightrider - BBF Forum member) was looking after). Hmm. Not really my cuppa tea, I’m afraid, he done a not a thing for me.

So later, after darkness fell, I caught Amy Winehouse on the Jazz World stage and she was brilliant. Which was odd cos I didn’t think I’d enjoy her. She finished with ‘Cupid’ the Sam Cooke song done ska style and an old Toots and the Maytals number ’54-46 was my number’. Good stuff. Caught a comedian and some band somewhere I didn’t even know and then retired to the bar marquee again.

Most of us (there were about 30 of us camped together) decided it just wasn’t worth the effort trudging through the mud to the main stage and other stages far afield so we stuck to the stages near us, namely the Jazz World Stage, The Avalon Field Stage, The Accoustic Tent and The Cabaret tent.

Also, a tent with proper seating named La Belle Epoque, where I caught The Cosmic Sausages. They were good, they were camped with us and I got picked on during their set to sing out loud a part of the Star Trek theme, tres embarrassing :D

Other acts I saw, and I honestly can’t remember them all, were The Broken Family Band, The Waterboys and bestest, bestest of all – John Fogerty.

He came on at 9.30 on the Jazz World stage on Saturday, just as it was getting dark and was absolutely bloody brilliant. I’d wanted to see the former Creedence Clearwater Revival frontman since about 1969 and couldn’t believe my luck when I saw he was performing at Glastonbury 2007.

He rocked and for about 100 minutes I actually managed to forget the mud, ‘Keep On Choogling’; ‘Bad Moon Rising’ and many more, every one absolutely giving me a big rosy warm feeling. And he sounded like a straight ahead guy when he spoke as well. He figured we were ‘Smarter than those guys I played to at Woodstock’ :D I’ll never forget that set long as I live, it made the Festival worthwhile for me.

Sunday morning I woke to yet more rain, I’d had enough, I left. Left Roy there as well, lol, cos he didn’t go to bed until 6am and it was then 9am and I was ready to go. I did make sure he had a lift home though.

It was a long walk through mud back to the car so I abandoned stuff, including my tent and cooking equipment. It was still hard work though, lugging the stuff I had, took me an hour to reach my car and I had one of the security guys, Brian, carrying one bag for me. He was there by the fire in the morning smoking a spliff when I woke up and offered to help me. I gave him my laminate pass so he could get back into the theatre area.

Brian was an absolute diamond, without him I actually think I may not have made it back to my car. He’s from Hackney. Brian mate, if we ever meet up again – and I think we will – I owe you a pint or six.

Got in the car, changed into dry jeans, then drove and got stuck in the mud. I thought I had nothing to lose so revved the wheels, they went lower but finally bit hard earth and off I went. Had to perfect my rally driving skills, sliding sideways, this way and that, quite good fun actually then made the main road.

To Bristol, the M4, North Circular, through Blackwall Tunnel and home.

Bathed, cleansed, clean sheets, my own bed, Guinness, warm sleep and vowing never ever again, 2007 was, sadly, my last Glastonbury Festival. I’ve been going on and off since 1981 and I’ve had some brilliant times, but come on, I’m 56, it is beginning to tell on me I think, it’s just not worth the gamble of relying on the weather.

In future, Festivals in Europe for me, Beni Casim is in August, on a beach near Barcelona in Spain, guaranteed sunshine, music from 10pm til 6am, sleep all day, then party all night again. Yes.

I don’t regret going, I am a bit peeved I missed most of a really good lineup, they had some superb acts at Glastonbury this year but the rain and the mud just ruined it.

And coming up here, a selection of pictures for you. I used my old Canon A80 4.1mp Digicam for these pix, didn’t want to risk taking my Nikon D40X SLR down there.

The Marquee Tent Bar, setting up:

001.jpg

Me, drinking, early on

002.jpg

Opening of the bar announcement:

003.jpg

John:

004.jpg

Glen Tilbrook:

005.jpg

Roy, John, Severine:

006.jpg

Glenn, Simon, Suki 1, Suki 2, somebody’s son:

007.jpg

Dan, Harriet, Simon, Suki:

008.jpg

Thursday morning:

009.jpg

Surreal stuff:

010.jpg

More surreal stuff:

011.jpg

Me in the Peace Field:

012.jpg

Top of the Peace Field:

013.jpg

Rubbish bins:

014.jpg

Sand sculptures:

015.jpg

Dodgem Car Bar:

016.jpg

017.jpg

A girl dummy grabs Roy’s bits:

018.jpg

Some children are just lazy:

019.jpg

Stanley gets funky:

020.jpg

Restaurant Marquee:

021.jpg

Severine grooves:

022.jpg

Me & April:

023.jpg

April snogs Lela (much alcohol had been consumed at this stage):

024.jpg

My goodness :eek:

025.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Roy, April, Claire:

026.jpg

Cats & Cats & Cats:

027.jpg

Unknown band:

028.jpg

Harriet:

029.jpg

Harriet performing:

030.jpg

031.jpg

Girls at the bar:

032.jpg

Gemma:

033.jpg

Even transvestites have to eat sometime:

034.jpg

Sleeping:

035.jpg

General view:
036.jpg

Bloc Party:

037.jpg

Mud:

038.jpg

Bloc Party:

039.jpg

Setting up for Rufus:

040.jpg

Rufus Wainwright:

041.jpg

Ferris Wheel:

042.jpg

Swan:

043.jpg

Dark Knight:

044.jpg

Nasty creatures:

045.jpg

046.jpg

Sunset on the way to see Amy:

047.jpg

Watching Amy:

048.jpg

Amy Winehouse:

049.jpg

What we were standing in:

050.jpg

Dan as GI Joe:

051.jpg

The Cosmic Sausages:

052.jpg

Harriet & Lela:

053.jpg

The Broken Family Band:

054.jpg

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Great pics flopp's...I must admit I did think of you at Glastonbury in all the rain and mud and wondered how you were getting on...

I 'm not sure I could hack it as I have become to used to all my home comforts even when I am on holiday, I like my hotel room hot shower and double bed to much..I think my camping days are over as I used to camp out six weeks at a time when I was in my teens...

Watched some of the bands at Glastonbury on the tv over the weekend and I must admit Shirley bassey was brilliant, also enjoyed watching the Who...:nod:

Lasting memory from the Tv for this year was a field full of mud with a lone camping chair and a guy with his head drooped to one side fast asleep in it and no one else around...I remember thinking I wonder if thats Flopp's and too much Guinness....:D

Well done mate...:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hey! great report ... were you ever on the papers as a reporter? ;)

Thanks Flopps ... :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Great pics and write up Flops, its a real shame about the weather....I dont think i would have liked it much myself. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Great pics Flops, just like being there - but with dry feet!! ;) The sand sculptures were very clever - was the aeroplane used as another bar or something? I really enjoyed reading your account of your whole Glastonbury experience, it was very entertaining, kept wishing there was a bit more ... you could write a really good book Flops :nod: Thank you for sharing :thumb: :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Groovy mate . And here I was thinking you were a bit of an old stick in the mud :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I always throughly enjoy reading about your trips/photos Flops :thumb: I think I'd feel the same way with all that mud there by the end though :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everybody :)

And on a competely different note I've just returned from the Hospital having received the all clear. They felt all around my neck/throat/face/upper chest, peered down my throat, looked round my mouth and stuck a camera up my nose and down my throat.

This is six months after treatement ended.

I also saw the dietician and was alarmed to find I'd lost 4lbs in weight. Probably due to not eating much at Glastonbury, I'd guess.

When I saw the oncology doctor at the hospital a few weeks ago I told her of my fears and worries and she said something like 'As far as we're concerned you're cured, most cases like yours stay cured as long as you've stopped smoking and we'll make your appointments now from every 6 weeks to every 3 months'. She also said I wouldn't be scanned anymore, the one scan I had in March was enough.

So I relaxed and really started to feel good.

But when I saw the ENT doctor this morning I didn't care for his 'bedside manner' at all. He looked at my notes and said 'So it's only six months since treatment ended then eh?'

I said 'What do you mean - "only"'

And then I told him what the doctor had mentioned above.

His reply was that he didn't consider me cured until in five years time and it was early days yet.

You know, it's amazing what one person's words can do to another person's mental well being. This geezer, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't really have a clue when it comes to treating his patients as vulnerable human beings.

So, having brought me right down, he examined me. He pushed my tongue down so hard I kept gagging so he sprayed this foul tasting local anaesthetic up my nose and down my throat then shoved the camera up my nostril.

As I felt it touch the back of my throat I kept reaching and he'd keep pushing it that little bit further, it was horrible. At one point I almost involuntarily went to pull the camera tube out, at the same time my other hand curled into a fist and reached back ready to thump him :lol:

He stopped after that and declared me all clear. And made another appointment for me to see him in 6 weeks.

When I told the dietician of my experiences with two different doctors she straight away recognised who the second doctor was and said 'Don't taKe what he said on board the five year time span is just a goverment guideline, if the oncology doctor considers you cured then you're cured'

So that reassured me, seems this doctor is known for not being very sensitive. And I swear he was enjoying the discomfort I suffered.

Anyway folks, I've rambled on but thought I'd bring you up to date and I don't really want to resurrect my 'since giving up smoking' thread so I spoke here in this thread :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... And made another appointment for me to see him in 6 weeks.
Take a pair of boxing gloves with you next time ... ask him to wait a sec while you put them on, explaining at the same time that you don't want to leave any evidence when you smack 'im in the mouth.

:lol:

... cut down on the 'liquid food' and go and have some good old bangers & mash ... ooh, with lots of onion gravy, and some good home made jam rolly polly. :D

good news anyway Tony. :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Such fantastic news flopp's...

Next time you go and see that Oink take a stun gun with you and teach him some Humility...I dunno some of these doctors can be very insensitive...:nod:

Muck's has made me hungry now with talk of Bangers and mash and onion gravy, I'm off to rustle something up...:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Some of these so-called doctors really make you want to spit! I have had the tube up the nose and down the throat treatment too (for a much more minor complaint than yours I hasten to add) but it's darned near impossible not to gag when the camera hits all your sensitive bits. I think you were going to sock the silly beggar in the wrong region...ahem....but of course, I am far too modest and ladylike to elaborate further :lol:

I'm really, really glad to hear that you are clear Flops. It's wonderful news, I'm just sorry to think that the good news was marred for you by that idiot. Theres always one....:rolleyes: Your Oncologist is the true expert though:thumb:

Anyone can see in your Glastonbury pics that you're looking good Flops :D

Ask a Question