Giving up smoking ... work in progress

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yeah, well I'm gonna "try" and give it up ... took the first step yesterday, didn't buy any baccy, took second step today and rang 0800 195 2131 (Roy Castle FagEnds), an information pack and an appointment? are on there way.

A word of warning to all, I may get banned from PCReview. :lol:

Oh, and I still got some ciggies to smoke off :thumb: , will probably be crawling up the wall on Sunday. :rolleyes:

I been a smoker since I was 14 ... :blush:

Any "additional tips" will be greeted with sceptisim. :D

:user:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Good for you - hope it goes well. You should go and see the Bodyworlds exhibition here in Manchester - seeing what smoking does to the inside of you is enough to put anyone off!

:)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Go for it Mucks. But don't "try" to give up, cos that gives you the option of failing. Just DO it. :thumb:

Remember this, smoking damages your microcirculation, the teeny weeny blood vessels. And remember, the microcirculation goes EVERYWHERE in your body. So you're not just damaging your lungs but your heart, kidneys, brain, liver and skin as well.

I know its not easy but think of all those organs in your body saying "Thanks Mucks" the day you stop.:nod: I wish you the best in your endeavour. :wave:

Reaction score
I gave up the smokes about 10 years ago.

Tried the patches, in-halater & now the gum and trying to wean myself off them.

Your local GP practice or NHS Trust may be able to provide nicotine replacement therapy items free of charge or at a massive discount, ask & you may well find they are more than happy to help!

Good luck with quitting Muckshifter.:thumb:

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm saying nothing.... ;)

Except, perhaps - good luck :thumb:
Actually, you don't need to say anything, but I do appreciate the sentiment. ;)

Your local GP practice or NHS Trust may be able to provide nicotine replacement therapy items free of charge or at a massive discount, ask & you may well find they are more than happy to help!
This is what "FagEnds" is all about ... relieves some pressure off your local practice, is where I was first given "advice" on what to do. I will have the added bonus of getting my 'prescriptions' free. :) I am, however, allergic to them 'patches' having once tried several years ago, ended up looking like I'd been attacked by an octopus. :rolleyes:

I ain't under any illusion this is going to be easy, nor is there any such thing as a quick fix, Niv hit the nail on the head, "Just do it" ... I have a certain stubborness that should see me through, I've already earmarked the money saved for other things. ;) :D :thumb:

I really do appreciate the support from you folks. :bow:

:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Good for you Mucks :thumb: with your gritty determination, I'm sure you will master it (but meanwhile, I'm going to join a few of the others, who are all hiding in the cupboard under the stairs...... please move over a bit guys :p )

Just teasing, I sincerely wish you the very best of good luck :thumb: :nod:

Reaction score
Give it up mate

Hi Mucks it`s the easiest thing in the world to give up smoking I`ve done it hundreds of times.

I used to say that, but ten months ago I did it, I woke up that morning and said to myself I am not smoking anymore, I used to be smoking all the time about 50 a day, I have not had a cigarette since.

I was born in 1936 started smoking in 1950 packed it in 2008, you will not believe how much better I feel in this short space of time, I should have packed it in ages ago.

My food tastes so much nicer, I feel so much healthier, I can bonk for so much longer and I am enjoying my life so much more, giving up smoking is the best thing I have done in my life for a long time, my Wife is so much happier she is telling everyone I am only 21 and yet I will be 72 this year.

So it is not good luck that you need, just do it.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I used Champix which the doctor prescribed for me . Had to see the Stop Smoking Councillor a few times and did the breath test etc . Cost free to me and only standard prescription charges for most folk .
They really do work . Stops the craving and no bad side effects for me . Took em for about six weeks and then decided I did not need any more .
Been tobacco free since the first week in January .

Good luck mucks .

http://gosmokefree.nhs.uk/what-suits-me/patches-gum-and-more/

happywave.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Good luck Muck's...:thumb:

Only one thing you need to stop ...Willpower...:nod: Thats all..;)

Been there
Done that
Got the T-Shirt..:D

Reaction score
The NHS did help me but none work.

Should try and read the Allen Carr’s stop smoking book.

Try the cold turkey way , it may work.

After all smoking is all in the brain.

Reaction score
Good luck - I know how hard it is... been watching others do it for years :D
But just think how much money you *won't* be giving to HM Govt... Hurrah!!!