Getting used to flash player weirdness

John Doe

You have to get used to flash player weirdness if you enjoy ESPN3
(the Internet version of ESPN).

Using Firefox. I start a game and a pop-up window comes up. As
usual it will take a while for the game to start showing. Fifteen
seconds later, I change my mind and try to close the window. The
pop-up window does not respond. So I click on the Firefox taskbar
button for the main browser window and nothing happens. Lately,
I've gotten the impression that it's just extremely slow to
respond when it's messing up, so I go on to use some other
Windows. And about 30 seconds later, the flash player container
window and the Firefox browser start responding.

And apparently there are no after effects, like there are with
many typical crashes. Perhaps it's normal behavior to
Adobe/ESPN/whatever. But it's very unusual interaction between a
program and Windows.

Rob

You have to get used to flash player weirdness if you enjoy ESPN3
(the Internet version of ESPN).

Using Firefox. I start a game and a pop-up window comes up. As
usual it will take a while for the game to start showing. Fifteen
seconds later, I change my mind and try to close the window. The
pop-up window does not respond. So I click on the Firefox taskbar
button for the main browser window and nothing happens. Lately,
I've gotten the impression that it's just extremely slow to
respond when it's messing up, so I go on to use some other
Windows. And about 30 seconds later, the flash player container
window and the Firefox browser start responding.

And apparently there are no after effects, like there are with
many typical crashes. Perhaps it's normal behavior to
Adobe/ESPN/whatever. But it's very unusual interaction between a
program and Windows.

Flash is just weird anyway. Why on earth it needs every single
installation to host the user preferences on an adobe internet
site is just stupid, if not a security hole the size of the
Pacific ocean.

Nil

Flash is just weird anyway. Why on earth it needs every single
installation to host the user preferences on an adobe internet
site is just stupid, if not a security hole the size of the
Pacific ocean.

I don't think that's the way it works. There's a Windows Control Panel
applet for Flash, and all preferences seem to be stored locally.

Nil

Interesting article, but it talks about problems from 5 years ago,
not now. And it doesn't address the settings manager.
They changed it from v10.3, but for earlier
versions the manager is online:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html

The manager may have been accessible online, but I doubt that the
actual settings were stored there.

John Doe

Nil said:
Interesting article, but it talks about problems from 5 years ago,
not now. And it doesn't address the settings manager.

The manager may have been accessible online, but I doubt that the
actual settings were stored there.

And what do you know about technology? Nil.

From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Getting used to flash player weirdness
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 13:56:27 -0500

Nil

And what do you know about technology? Nil.

Do you have something to contribute here, or are you just continuing to
stalk me?

You all know this "John Doe" creep will stalk you around to other
newsgroups once you disagree with him, don't you? This is just the
latest example.

SC Tom

John Doe said:
You have to get used to flash player weirdness if you enjoy ESPN3
(the Internet version of ESPN).

Using Firefox. I start a game and a pop-up window comes up. As
usual it will take a while for the game to start showing. Fifteen
seconds later, I change my mind and try to close the window. The
pop-up window does not respond. So I click on the Firefox taskbar
button for the main browser window and nothing happens. Lately,
I've gotten the impression that it's just extremely slow to
respond when it's messing up, so I go on to use some other
Windows. And about 30 seconds later, the flash player container
window and the Firefox browser start responding.

And apparently there are no after effects, like there are with
many typical crashes. Perhaps it's normal behavior to
Adobe/ESPN/whatever. But it's very unusual interaction between a
program and Windows.

I watch a lot of sports on ESPN3, and have no problems at all viewing it on IE8 or IE9. Must be a Firefox thing.
I am sorry you're having problems, though. Hope you figure it out.

Don Phillipson

. . . window does not respond. So I click on the Firefox taskbar
button for the main browser window and nothing happens. Lately,
I've gotten the impression that it's just extremely slow to
respond when it's messing up, so I go on to use some other
Windows. And about 30 seconds later, the flash player container
window and the Firefox browser start responding.

What version of Firefox? After upgrading to v.10, my Firefox
after initial load to go Not Responding for 20-30 seconds.
This did not happen with Firefox.v.9.

John Doe

Don Phillipson said:
"John Doe" <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote

What version of Firefox? After upgrading to v.10, my Firefox
after initial load to go Not Responding for 20-30 seconds. This
did not happen with Firefox.v.9.

My problem with flash player was even worse before version 9. I
have seen similar behavior in Internet Explorer, so it's not just
Firefox. I think it's a weird Adobe programming problem.

Assuming the problem has to do with flash player... One method
that might help is to completely uninstall flash player, then
reinstall the current version. You can get the uninstall utility
from their website. If you want to be thorough, you can take further
measures like disabling startup stuff and rebooting, before your
uninstall and reinstall.

DK

You have to get used to flash player weirdness if you enjoy ESPN3
(the Internet version of ESPN).

Using Firefox. I start a game and a pop-up window comes up. As
usual it will take a while for the game to start showing. Fifteen
seconds later, I change my mind and try to close the window. The
pop-up window does not respond. So I click on the Firefox taskbar
button for the main browser window and nothing happens. Lately,
I've gotten the impression that it's just extremely slow to
respond when it's messing up, so I go on to use some other
Windows. And about 30 seconds later, the flash player container
window and the Firefox browser start responding.

I have none of the problems you describe although I do use
Firefox (ancient 3.5 version). But I detest Flash, for it has not
legitimate reason for existing beyond vector graphics.

Basically, everything Adobe touches these days turns into shit.
Its bloatware is completely unusable by now. (Not unique to
Adobe, of course).

DK

John Doe

dk said:
I have none of the problems you describe although I do use
Firefox (ancient 3.5 version).

After version 3 is when I started having flash player problems.
But like I said, I'm getting used to it. And the more recent
versions of Firefox are better at some things.

The fact that ESPN3 flash player crashes so obviously disrupt my
system without producing permanent side effects is interesting
IMO. That is very unusual in my experience. Such a system crash
usually means something is broken that continues to noticeably
affect the system.

To be clear... I'm not talking about every time I try to use the
thing. I'm talking about certain behavior. The last time that is
described above is not something that most people do. There is a
possibility that some other software or hardware component of my
system is involved, it could have to do with my Internet hardware
or drivers, but I think Adobe is more responsible.