Getting the message Application failed to initialize: 0x80010534

During its launch, the Windows Defender shows the following error message and
then quits:

Application failed to initialize: 0x80010534. There is no mapping between
account name and security ID. (The second part is in Swedish. I've translated
it but can't guarantee it reads exactly like this in the English version.)

What is wrong?

And I´m having exactly the same problem, though I had The Giant Antispyware
program before, without any problems for years.!! Now - I´m soon getting
hairless - I have no time for these troubles. Thank you anyone who could
answer us and help us/ Solvi from Sweden

Sorry! My "upfedness" made me forget the most important things. I´m having
Windows 2000 and tried to install/uninstall the defender many times also
after installing the GDI+ and so on. I have read all the other suggestionsand
tried most of them. I´m sorry the defender makes me surrender... Everything
works and installates fine until the upgrading-suggestion. And the answer
doesnt matter. There is still the sign telling me that the application
failed... The most sad thing - it has eliminated my earlier fine working
Giant. Now Microsoft!!: I have been looking through all these helpseeking
questions from people "all around the earth". Isn´t it the time to solve this
problem. Please help us with a new Defender, so we can defend us. With all my
regards / Solvi again

Dave M

Hi Solvi;

Sorry to hear Defender has given you such a pain in the head, not to
mention the loss of hair! Have you seen this thread? It's seems to have
helped some other people in a similar situation with Win2000.

From: david network admin
Subject: WinDefend Service Failed to start - FIX!?
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 07:37:03 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.install

Thanks Solvi and Dave for engaging in this problem. I "solved" it by
uninstalling the application and getting rid of it. You see, not only did it
fail to launch; it also initiated an endless stream of Windows Updates.

To me Windows Defender isn't a must-have application; there are alternatives
from other manufacturers. If this is the best Microsoft can do, Symantec and
McAfee has no reason to fear Microsoft's entry in this field.

Mikael