Getting rid of a worm spybot

Hey Gang

I've been getting a pop up warning from my AVG virus software with the following message

worm/spybot located in J:\system volume information\_restore{F95E25D3-1723-4723-9574-923F695776AB}\RP208\A0019774.exe

After speaking to my roommate I've learned that that pop up showed up saying that the virus was on our newly installed and networked drive (J:) and that he went to the folder it was in and deleted it rather than running anti virus. We then started getting the message above, and so I think it's stuck in the registries under system restore. I went with regedit to that location and deleted it (maybe a very bad idea) and now I still get the message, but under regedit searches for the above location come back empty now. The message won't stop! AVG can locate it to give me a pop up but not to remove it. The Cleaner has also failed me. Have I painted myself into a corner here? Please reply to my email at (e-mail address removed), but if you don't feel comfortable doing that, I will still check back as often as possible.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Turn-off System Restore, reboot, then turn it back on.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"washingtron" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Hey Gang
|
| I've been getting a pop up warning from my AVG virus software with the following message
|
| worm/spybot located in J:\system volume
information\_restore{F95E25D3-1723-4723-9574-923F695776AB}\RP208\A0019774.exe

| After speaking to my roommate I've learned that that pop up showed up saying that the virus was on our newly
installed and networked drive (J:) and that he went to the folder it was in and deleted it rather than running
anti virus. We then started getting the message above, and so I think it's stuck in the registries under
system restore. I went with regedit to that location and deleted it (maybe a very bad idea) and now I still
get the message, but under regedit searches for the above location come back empty now. The message won't
stop! AVG can locate it to give me a pop up but not to remove it. The Cleaner has also failed me. Have I
painted myself into a corner here? Please reply to my email at (e-mail address removed), but if you don't feel
comfortable doing that, I will still check back as often as possible.

steve.uk

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/