Brontok.KO worm help

Jerry Hughes

Hello,
I have a worm that I don't know how to get rid of. My AVG free security
kicked it out while my Super Anti-Spyware software was scanning. AVG did not
kick out the worm while it was running alone. According to AVG, the worm was
moved to the "vault" and I later deleted it. When scanning the computer
again, AVG does not kick out the worm while Super Anti-Spyware runs again but
when restarting my computer, I am asked for my email address and password
when opening my Yahoo mail and I keep getting a pop up telling me that my
Microsoft Indexer has stopped working. This indicates to me that the worm is
still there. Any information or help with this is greatly apprecitated.
Thanks,

Jerry

Mick Murphy

Follow info below to reboot into Safe Mode.
Also, download and install Spybot Search & Destroy prior to above.
Once you are there, rescan with AVG, and your anti spyware program, and
Spybot S and D.

If AVG still can not remove it, uninstall AVG, install Avast, and rescan in
Safe Mode again.

Avast Anti-Virus is Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions), FREE,
auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at any
one time..
Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
Then SCAN with it.
Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

SpywareBlaster 4.1 is a non-intrusive, FREE Anti-Spyware Program that runs
in the background (no scanning by you!).
SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of many so-called spyware, adware
and malware programs by disabling the CLSIDs of popular spyware ActiveX
controls, and also prevents the installation of any of them via a webpage
Update it once a fortnight, and let it do its work in the background!

Important re: Safe Mode
If you happen to find a problem that you can’t uninstall / delete, reboot
the computer, and go into Safe Mode.
To get into Safe mode, tap F8 right at Power On / Startup, and use UP arrow
key to get to Safe Mode, then hit ENTER.
RESCAN your computer with Avast and Spybot S & D while in Safe Mode.

Jerry Hughes

Hi Mick,

Thank you very much for that information. I will try that but is it
also a good idea to shut down System Restore before the Safe Mode scans?
(Scan in full operation mode with Restore shut off) I heard that a virus or
worm can "live" within the Restore feature and by shutting it off to scan,
will help. I've heard that the scans cannot enter the Restore feature
otherwise. Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Hughes

I've logged on to my Yahoo mail twice and it didn't ask for me to sign in.
But I'm still getting the small pop up saying that the Microsoft Search
Indexing has stopped working. I wonder if the worm is actually gone but that
there is a different problem with the Indexing???? I also ran my Windows
Defender and that came up with nothing. I think the worm is gone, after I
"vaulted" it and deleted. I'm going to watch and see if the problems
continue and then take more action. Thank you very much Mick.

Jerry

Mick Murphy

If you get into YMail via their H Page, you are signed in for 2 weeeks.
If you use yahoo messenger, you are signed in forever, if you ticked that
option at YM setup.

Jerry Hughes

Hey Mick,
Thanks for the tip. I'll watch to see if Yahoo asks for a sign in before
the two weeks. (Hoping for the best) In the mean time I think I'm going to
post the question of my "Microsoft Search Indexer" pop up appearing, to see
if there is a separate answer to that. Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry Hughes

Hi Mick,
No problems so far. I think the worm is buried! Ha. And I got a quick
fix on my indexing problem and all is well in sunny San Diego. Thanks again
and G'day. :)

Jerry

Mick Murphy

G'day Jerry, and thanks! If you ever get any more probs, come back to these
Newsgroups. They are pretty good here.
All the best from Surfer's Paradise, on the sunny Gold Coast!