Getting a new pc, specs inside.

Reaction score
Well, i went to PC world today and saw this.

# Intel Pentium 4 Processor 650
# Windows XP Home Edition
# 3.4GHz Clock-Speed
# 800MHz Front Side BUS
# 2048 mb RAM Memory
# 400 Gb Hard Drive
# M-Format Dual Layer DVDRW & DVD ROMDrive
# 256 Mb ATI RADEON 9550 Graphics
# 15-in-1 Media Card Reader
# Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

With 19 inch screen, keyboard, mouse etc... for:

£999

I wondered if it would play games like WOW and half life 2 on medium - high settings. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
not with that graphics card it wont, if you bought it you would need to spen another £300 + to make it play those games on max detail

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
not with that graphics card it wont, if you bought it you would need to spen another £300 + to make it play those games on max detail
Umm so the 9550 isn't good? The advertisement that was on it was that the graphics card and memory is great for playing games. Is the 9550 bad?

Reaction score
adam106 said:
Umm so the 9550 isn't good? The advertisement that was on it was that the graphics card and memory is great for playing games. Is the 9550 bad?
I was planning on buying this pc tomorrow, any info is appreciated thanks. Is the 9550 bad?

Reaction score
Good, Better Bad'est

Now Bad is such a harsh term read the tone, grasshopper

Radeon® 9550 Graphics Technology
The Radeon® 9550 delivers an exceptional visual experience for the value minded gamer and PC enthusiast...

Radeon® X850 Graphics Technology
The Radeon® X850 series is the most advanced gaming card technology ever created by ATI, providing High Definition quality visuals and break through performance for the ultimate gaming experience with today’s blockbuster titles...

What is plenty for the average mortal, is only the beginning for the immortals
Bad is a PCI slot board, do you hear now?

Check it for youreslf http://www.ati.com/products/gamer.html

peace

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
adam106 said:
I was planning on buying this pc tomorrow, any info is appreciated thanks. Is the 9550 bad?

9800 PRO at the least

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
adam106 said:

To put the answer in 2 words, very bad ;).

tek

Reaction score
For £999 you could be a pretty sleek gaming system. Don't rush to buy it because you may regret it. Take your time to look at all your options. If you don't want to build a system, take a look at dell.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... they never tell you what the MB is, do they. ;)

Sorry, but the MB is the base to which EVERYTHING is connected, I want to know that first ... then I may consider buying, after I've done a Google search.

Haven't bought a Pentium since 80486 days. :thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Haven't bought a Pentium since 80486 days. :thumb:

either my calculator is screwed or you are alot older than we all thought ;) ,im making it 220 years :eek:

if you want a decent system for gaming, build it yourself or have a good look at all of the companies and check back :thumb:

.-=ManQ=-.

<a href="http://www.boltonpc.co.uk">BoltonPC</a> R
Reaction score
If your budget is £999 you can get a stomper pc !!!

If your after a GOOD gaming system, I'd :

(a) ditch the 19" tft and geta 19" CRT, then use the money you save to go towards a decent video card.

(b) Make sure you get a system with good motherboard feedback (easy to work out, Asus, Gigabyte, etc)

(c) If you have to go ATI, then a nice x800 or such (stay away from x300), but Im nvidia so id say 6800GT hmmm finger licking nice for the price!!!

and stay away from pc world!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
.-=ManQ=-. said:
If your budget is £999 you can get a stomper pc !!!

If your after a GOOD gaming system, I'd :

(a) ditch the 19" tft and geta 19" CRT, then use the money you save to go towards a decent video card.

Some good advice for all you gamers out there ;). TFT is crap for gaming anyway :p.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
Also if it is a gming rig why are you gooing for an intel cpu?? the only time that you might want an intel is if you are video editing or programs that the ht would help run more smoothly. So if you want a giming rig go for the amd 64 939 4000 proceassor you wont be dissapointed and then you can get 2 gigs of ram a good mb and the other parts and i think that will fit your budget.

.-=ManQ=-.

<a href="http://www.boltonpc.co.uk">BoltonPC</a> R
Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
Also if it is a gming rig why are you gooing for an intel cpu?? the only time that you might want an intel is if you are video editing or programs that the ht would help run more smoothly. So if you want a giming rig go for the amd 64 939 4000 proceassor you wont be dissapointed and then you can get 2 gigs of ram a good mb and the other parts and i think that will fit your budget.

Good advice also ! The last Intel chip I had in a home PC was a PII. Never looked back !

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
.-=ManQ=-. said:
Good advice also ! The last Intel chip I had in a home PC was a PII. Never looked back !

Yes i have had my own comp for about a year now, when i bought it i decided to put an amd in it. I will never look back at intel only forward at the 64b amd:D

Ask a Question