Games recomendation.

Reaction score
I am not a great games player,in fact the only games I`ve ever played were on the Amiga. But of late I`ve discovered the hidden object game/s. These are by "Big Fish" and others.I suppose thay are rubbish to you hard line gamers,but for someone who has never played games like them befor, they are great. But now I feel I would like to branch out with more involved or challenging games. But from the posts I`ve read on this site,they all seem rather violent with foul language which I can`t be having with. So my question to you experienced gamers is:
Are there games out there that are not to violent and don`t use foul language,but is/are exciting.
Many thanks for any replies.
historian

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What sort of game takes your fancy? Obviously not a FPS or beat em up.

What sort of spec is the PC you intend on gaming on?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I play LoTRO, a lot, :blush: ... you can adventure around, but you will need to kill a few things. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Civilisation 4 or 5

Fallout 3 (NOT Fallout: New Vegas)

Dungeon Siege II or the new one Dungeon Siege III

Possibly Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead

Syberia 1 & 2

Roller Coaster 3 Tycoon deluxe edition (Original game plus two add-ons for a tenner or less)

S'bout all I can think of off the top of me head.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Oblivion gets my vote, its not very violent and theres ton's to do.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Theme Hospital and Theme Park are great games - although they must be over 10 years old now and can be picked up for a couple of quid. :)

Monkey Island was supposed to be a good puzzle game, although I've not played it myself - perhaps someone here has given it a go though.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Secret Of Monkey Island - Special Edition is currently £6.99 on Steam.

I bought it a while back and it's good if you like that kind of thing.

The word to sum it up would be 'gentle'. Puzzles, gameplay, humour - gentle.

When I fancy spending a relaxing hour or so I play some Monkey Island. Yes, I'd recommend that one, well worth seven quid.

Reaction score
Well you have given me a lot think about,many thanks.
Monkey island I remember it on the Amiga many years ago. I never played it but it got a good write up as far as I remember.
One other thing. Some of you mention something called "Steam" What is it.
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Steam is an online games vendor owned by a company named Valve whose most famous moment weas probably Half Life One, a veritable landmark in gaming.

With Steam you download their software then purchase games online using Paypal, Credit or Debit card. The game is then downloaded to your Steam folder. Once purchased you can download the game as many times as you like, even to another computer, as long as you're logged in with your user name and password.

You can only be logged in to Steam on one machine at a time.

I was sceptical of Steam initially but I've come to like and trust them, they're good.

So basically:

Download the basic Steam software (free) from Here

Online, browse their store and purchase any game that takes your fancy. They have hundreds of good cheap games but be aware that on new full price releases they are almost always more expensive than Amazon and Play.com

muckshifter

Reaction score
err, yes ... you can buy or play for free (F2P) and is an on-line game (mmo) where you can, in this case, pay a monthly fee and get all areas free. Expansions still cost cash or in-game TPs

You can try it out. you won't find it on steam. :)

Reaction score
What sort of game takes your fancy? Obviously not a FPS or beat em up.

What sort of spec is the PC you intend on gaming on?

Hello V_R Sorry for the delay.
It`s just a standard computer with the following:
Procsessor:Intel core 2Quad Q8200.
Memory: 3072 MB DDR 2/800MHz.
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9500(512MB.
As to what type of game I`m looking for I really don`t know,not having played games to that extent. But what I do know is that I don`t want those games that are violent,like those war games ,for example. People have given me names of a few games,I took a look at them on Amazon,but there is not one that caught my interest. Mr Flops gave me a name of a firm "Steam" Where you down load the game to the H/D. But that can fill the H/D in no time,assuming you like a lot of games.
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Games will take up a lot of hard disk space, whether loaded from disk or downloaded from an online vendor such as Steam. There isn't a great deal of diiference in space used between downloaded copy or loaded from disk copy.

Generally speaking the newer a game is the more space it will take up.

Historian, for the games you want to play I seriously don't think hard disk space would be an issue. The Secret Of Monkey Island (only available on Steam, it seems) takes up very little space.

Dang, I'm drinking wine, not many games make much sense in my current state at this time of the evening so I think I'll have me's some Monkey Business.

muckshifter

Reaction score
I use a 250 HD, it's only 1/3rd full, admittedly, I only got 4 games loaded, not the 40 Floppy has. :p

You may find your graphics card will need replacing if you're gonna play anything really new.

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks to you all who replied,it`s given me something to think about.
Mr Flopps`. I`ve looked on Amazon for "Monkey Island" And they seem to have lots of them,all at different prices.
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks to you all who replied,it`s given me something to think about.
Mr Flopps`. I`ve looked on Amazon for "Monkey Island" And they seem to have lots of them,all at different prices.
historian

Yes, there are lots of Monkey island games on Amazon, I looked on there, but most are in my opinion overpriced and a lot of them will only work on Win 98 or even Win 95.

'The Secret Of Monkey Island' was one of the early ones but it's been re-written to work on Win 7, Vista and XP within Steam and has had the graphics improved a great deal.

Because of that it's been labelled 'Special Edition' and is available on Steam for £6.99.

Downloading and installing Steam software is free and risk free and takes up very little space. I was initially wary and sceptical but I've come to like Steam a great deal.

I think you may like The Secret Of Monkey Island Special Edition, I do, and for the price imo is probably worth taking a risk on.

Tonight I've been playing The Witcher 1 Enhanced Edition (Medium Good though perhaps a little slow) and Dragon Age II (Interactive movie, strange control interface and looks pretty good).

Ask a Question