Gab's homework!!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

Please do not laugh at this question!!!!!

I have completed one assignment of a total 4 on my PC course and that's gone ok but took most of this afternoon. 3 are now left to be handed in next Thursday night so I have some work to do here!!

I need to check something out....

Part of a question on another assignment entitled 'Computer Systems' is:

'Please list/describe some of the main popular makes/platforms of a PC' (use some common computer terminology in your answer/description)

I was thinking in relation to platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux, Amiga (obviously I would elaborate on this) however the online course information refers to mainframes, work stations, servers, desktops, PDAs etc.....

What do people think about platforms? What are they...have I lost the plot/got this completely wrong????

In relation to popular makes are they talking about the main players in the 'off the shelf market'/manufacturers???

I am slightly lost not least because I have missed 5 weeks of this course and am trying to catch up with the rest of the class and haven't been given a great deal of guidance.

One of my other assignments is H and S issues relating to computers - I can tackle that one ok and the other is about the history of computers and I think I can do that one ok too...it's just the module about 'Computer Systems'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Love

Gabs xx

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I would understand that as:

Makes = Dell, HP, Compaq, Mesh, etc...

Whereas platforms I would see as Desktops, Servers, Handhelds, etc... but I also see your point about operating systems. Wikipedia is a good information resource and has a section here (see Hardware Examples) that has a bit of information on all sorts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_(computing)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd say popular makes is quite self-explanatory, but platforms?

I would have understood platforms to have meant OS's: Windows/Linux/Sun/OS2 etc but...

Online course notes reference mainframes, workstations etc.

Therefore, I'd research mainframes, servers, work stations etc and give a brief description of each.

If you're not sure off the top of your head (which I wouldn't be, lol) Google/Wikipedia is your friend :)

Good luck.

Reaction score
Google Define is pretty good...​
Go to google.co.uk and type "Define:whateveryouneedtoknow" and press search...

Conflicting answers for "Define:platform" ??

<LI>a hardware standard, such as IBM, Sun or Macintosh, etc
www.sunrise.uk.com/glossary.html

[size=-1]<LI>A set of technology, which acts as a foundation for real-world applications, or higher-level platforms. Symbian OS includes C++ APIs, a leading Java implementation, an application suite and integration with wireless and other communications protocols.
webdeveloper.pl/glossary,mobile.html[/size]

[size=-1]<LI>the type of computer or operating system on which a software application runs, eg, PC, Macintosh, Unix or WebTV.
www.iab.net/resources/glossary_p.asp[/size]

[size=-1]<LI>The operating system running software on a computer (eg Unix or Windows95). Often used to refer to the type of computer, such as a Macintosh or PC compatible.
www.inproteomics.com/nwglospq.html[/size]

[size=-1]<LI>A generic term used to refer to a computer’s operating system.
www.angelfire.com/bc/nursinginformatics/glossary4.html[/size]

[size=-1]<LI>the computer hardware and operating system software that runs application software.
nces.ed.gov/pubs98/tech/glossary.asp[/size] [size=-1]<LI>Refers to the operating system, such as Linux or Windows 98.
sharepoint.agriculture.purdue.edu/agit/webtrends_glossary.aspx[/size]

[size=-1]<LI>The underlying hardware or software for a system (MAC, PC)
js082.k12.sd.us/Links_Pages/Additional_Computer_Links/Some_computer_terms.htm[/size]

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I'd have to say that the wording of the question is extreemly ambiguous & could mean either the hardware or the operating systems. It might be an idea to put an introductory paragraph stating this (although say that you found it ambiguous rather than they might actually be at fault of course) and that as such you have chosen to confine yourself to one or the other then just stick with whichever one you have chosen. Include one of the definitions chris has provided to back up your choice, so long as it's referenced properly then they don't have grounds to refuse your assignment given that the fault actually lies in their question, not your answer.
Since it's pretty much a 50/50 chance of picking the whichever one they were thinking of then it's a good idea to 'cover your posterior' so that, hopefully you will get marked on the merit of your assignment even if you pick the wrong one.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks guys for this - I am relieved that my original toughts were not that bizarre and I agree with Cirianz/Flops that the question does appear amiguous.

I shall do some work later on and thanks Chris for the very helpful links.

Love

Gabs xx

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
List describe popular "Makes" ...

Dell, Comcrap, Crapard Hell, Hewlett Crapard ... Homebuilt. :p

Platforms ? ... this may explain better
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Today Ubisoft announced that Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Lockdown, the fourth installation of the multi-million unit selling franchise, will ship worldwide in September 2005 for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox video game system from Microsoft and the Nintendo GameCube. The PC-CD Rom, developed by Red Storm Entertainment, is scheduled for an early 2006 release.

Read also that there are "platforms" for ... Sun, Apple, Unix and PCs ... not all these platforms can run the same OS

So you will also "see" ... suitable for "Win98/ME/XP" (Linux :p ) platforms :rolleyes:

Cover your back, mention them all ... you don't need to write a book ... ;)
[/font]

Ask a Question