Fujitsu Siemens Laptop - wireless connectivity disappeared

Reaction score
Last week I had a trojan horse on my Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile laptop. I was able to remove it but since then I have had a couple of problems. One of them I have already rectified with the help of this Forum. But now my wireless connectivity has 'disappeared'. I can connect via the ethernet cable but as soon as I unplug it the laptop does not initiate the wireless facility.

I have tried the following without any effect:
  • to set something up using the Internet connection wizard. Only that ends with the message that broadband should already be configured automatically
  • cleaned the registry with CCleaner
It almost seems as if something has 'switched off' the wireless function.

Thanks for any advice

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums PMAX!

Which OS are you using? If you can let us know and then we can try to walk through some steps.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I run XP Professional, Service Pack 3 (Version 2002).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry for the slow reply :blush:

Do you have any wireless function buttons on your laptop which enable/disable it? It's Fn + F2 on the laptop I have. You should see some blue graphics on your keyboard which will explain each dual function key.

If that doesn't work, can you check in device manager to see if your wireless adapter is listed there? You can run "devmgmt.msc" to go directly to it.

Reaction score
ar5211.sys missing?!

Ian

No need to apologise. I did not expect you to reply personally. Your help is all the more appreciated.

With the wireless adapter you seem to have hit on something. I tried the buttons first, and Fn + F1 brings up a small display where there is a choice of switching WLAN on or off. Even in 'on' position there was no change.

I then looked at the device manager and there was indeed a warning next to the wireless adapter (in this case Atheros AR5007EG). The troubleshooting facility advised to uninstall the adapter and then to reinstall it. Unfortunately, the latter was not possible, as a file called ar5211.sys (supposedly residing in the C:WindowsSystem32drivers folder) was missing. Digging around on the Net I found further connections of this file with virus related problems but nowhere that I could download it from. I searched the disc with drivers I got together with the laptop but the file does not seem to be on it (searched file names and content!). Other searches on the disc for Atheros or Wireless Network Adapter did not find anything either.

Complicated or what???

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you post the full model laptop you have then it should be possible to find this driver for you. :)

Have you got a current anti-virus and are pretty sure that the laptop is now virus free?

Reaction score
The model is Esprimo Mobile V5535

I have AVG anti-virus and firewall, which so far seems to have been pretty good and was recommended to me (after having had several nightmares with Norton over the years). Actually, it was Spy Sweeper that detected the trojan horse, not AVG. Of course, if you have any suggestions regarding additional or better anti-virus and/or anti-spyware programmes I am always interested.

By the way, having done different searches now through Windows Explorer on the driver disc that came with the laptop I have found the following:

file:///D:/driver/wlan/1024830_atheros_v7_6_0_154.exe and
file:///D:/driver/wlan/1024831_atheros_v7_6_0_239.exe

Could one of them be what I need, in case that saves you time searching?

Ask a Question