Frontpage Local Folders

Paul Turner

Hi There,
Does anyone know how to stop Frontpage from saving my website to a Local
Folder before it publishes it to my main Web Site. It was ok before but then
one night i was in a rush and i didnt look at what i was doing when i saved
it. Now, all the work i do saves to a Local Folder first hence making all my
page / itemts / picture location properties almost duplicate i.e. instead of
my music page properties being www.domain.co.uk/music its now
www.domain.co.uk/www.domain.co.uk/music

As you can see its almost like having your web site saved in side another
folder. I have contacted my host who say everything is fine there end
(indeed when you visit the site everything appears to be in order). I have
tried to delete the Local Folder whilst in Frontpage but it won't allow me
to do it. I know this may sound confusing, but i really need some kind of
help on this and would be only too willing to take advice whilst being
guided on MSN.

Jim Buyens

Howdy. Try this:

1. Open your local Web site.
2. Drag everything out of the www.domain.co.uk folder
and drop it into the root folder.
3. Delete the now-empty www.domain.co.uk folder.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
||---------------------------------------------------
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

Paul Turner

I've put up some pages on the website showing what the problem is. The web
address is www.pacesplace.co.uk
If theres anything else anyone needs to know aboput this then please feel
free to ask :)

Regards,
Paul

Jim Buyens

This is very curious. I guess I would first do whatever it takes to
get a clean local copy of you site, then delete everything on the
remote site and try again.

Unless, that is, you have some sort of "sub-domain" set up at the
host. (I hate that term, "sub-domain", because it's ambiguous, but oh
well, that seems to be the term in use.) This is a setup where you
start with a Web site called www.domain.com, and your host configures
another domain name like www.subdom.com so it that redirects to
www.domain.com/subdom.

If something like this is going on, you should always publish to the
original, physical location, such as www.domain.com/subdom. The
subdomain/redirection trick is just for Web visitors.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
||---------------------------------------------------
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

Steve Easton

What is the name of the folder that contains your local web on your machine??

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Paul Turner

Steve,
I'm not sure, the local folder is titled the same as my web folder, but im
not sure that its saved on my PC as i've searched hi & low plus i've also
uninstalled FrontPage and all associated files and reinstalled them.

Jim,
I have asked my host to 'wipe the slate clean' but they have refused saying
that there is no problem at there end and that its a FrontPage issue. As i
said before, i've deleted the site, uninstalled FP and everything else i can
think of but still no resolve. I am managing to build the site, but its a
pain in the a$$.

Regards,
Paul

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

hey Steve...looks like Apache without extensions...double check since I dunno which end is up this morning

| What is the name of the folder that contains your local web on your machine??
|
| --
| Steve Easton
| Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| 95isalive
| This site is best viewed............
| .......................with a computer
|
| | > Hi Jim,
| > That didnt seem to work :( as it was transferring the files accross it
| > displayed this...
| >
| > Copying 'http://www.pacesplace.co.uk/www.pacesplace.co.uk/menucontext.js' to
| > 'http://www.pacesplace.co.uk/www.pacesplace.co.uk/menucontext.js'
| >
| > See what i mean about all the directories being duplicated ?
| > arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg :'(
| >
| > Regards,
| > Paul
| > >
| > > 1. Open your local Web site.
| > > 2. Drag everything out of the www.domain.co.uk folder
| > > and drop it into the root folder.
| > > 3. Delete the now-empty www.domain.co.uk folder.
| > >
| > > Jim Buyens
| > > Microsoft FrontPage MVP
| > > http://www.interlacken.com
| > > Author of:
| > > *----------------------------------------------------
| > > |\---------------------------------------------------
| > > *----------------------------------------------------

Steve Easton

Ok, you need to rename the local web and give it a simple folder name. since the domain is
pacesplace.co.uk rename the local folder to simply pacesplace
You will need to do this in FrontPage by launching FrontPage, clicking File > Open web and when the
web folder appears in the
in the selection slot of the open web dialog panel, right click the entry and select rename.
( make sure it is the copy on your C:\ drive which is "normally" located inside: C:\Documents and
Settings\%username%\My Documents\My Webs )

Then publish the second instance of the web to pacesplace.
Then republish the web.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Paul Turner

Hi Steve,
It doesn't allow me to rename the folder, the option to do so is not
highlighted.
Paul
"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message hey Steve...looks like Apache without extensions...double check since I
dunno which end is up this morning

| What is the name of the folder that contains your local web on your
machine??

| --
| Steve Easton
| Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| 95isalive
| This site is best viewed............
| .......................with a computer
|
| | > Hi Jim,
| > That didnt seem to work :( as it was transferring the files accross it
| > displayed this...
| >
| > Copying
'http://www.pacesplace.co.uk/www.pacesplace.co.uk/menucontext.js' to
| > 'http://www.pacesplace.co.uk/www.pacesplace.co.uk/menucontext.js'
| >
| > See what i mean about all the directories being duplicated ?
| > arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg :'(
| >
| > Regards,
| > Paul
| > >
| > > 1. Open your local Web site.
| > > 2. Drag everything out of the www.domain.co.uk folder
| > > and drop it into the root folder.
| > > 3. Delete the now-empty www.domain.co.uk folder.
| > >
| > > Jim Buyens
| > > Microsoft FrontPage MVP
| > > http://www.interlacken.com
| > > Author of:
| > > *----------------------------------------------------
| > > |\---------------------------------------------------
| > > *----------------------------------------------------

Thomas A. Rowe

Create new folder anywhere on your HD with Windows Explorer, then open the folder in FP, click Ok to
let FP add it's files, then open your live/remote site directly in FP and re-publish to:

c:\pacesplace

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Paul Turner

I've tried everything thats been suggested to no avail. The only option i
haven't treied is to format the PC which sounds a bit drastic. I cant find
the location of this Local Folder which seems to puzzle me somewhat so i'll
just have to grin and bear it.
Many thanks for all your help,
Regards,
Paul Turner