Frontpage 2000, can't open previously accessible web

Pumpkin

Apologies if this was recently discussed; I haven't been following
newsgroups for quite some time. 48000+ messages was a few too many to look
through...

I recently did a format/reinstall on my home computer. I installed Office
2000, applied all the updates that were needed, and then proceeded to work
on my personal website. When I select "Open Web", I get the following error
message:

The folder 'http://www.roeszler.org/' isn't accessible. The folder may be
located on an unavailable volume or protected with a password.

I contacted my hosting companies tech support. The gentleman who replied was
going to suggest that I uninstall and reinstall FP extensions (yes, they
allow individuals to do that ^^), but he also said he had no issues using
frontpage to connect. He then suggested that I try an uninstall/reinstall of
FP2000 on my machine. So I did, but the error message remains.

Also, I used to have http://www.roeszler.org listed in my Web Folders, but I
can't seem to use that feature. "webfolders xp" is not listed in my
Add/Remove programs now, and I can't seem to find an update, patch, or
whatever to add that. BUT, the "Look in" box lists web folders as an option
still.

Can anyone help with this please?

Chris Roeszler

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

I think you need to talk to your host, maybe the permissions are messed up because when I tried to surf there (the home page) I get prompted for a password.

"Pumpkin" <roeszler_at_cable_1_dot_net> wrote in message | Apologies if this was recently discussed; I haven't been following
| newsgroups for quite some time. 48000+ messages was a few too many to look
| through...
|
| I recently did a format/reinstall on my home computer. I installed Office
| 2000, applied all the updates that were needed, and then proceeded to work
| on my personal website. When I select "Open Web", I get the following error
| message:
|
| The folder 'http://www.roeszler.org/' isn't accessible. The folder may be
| located on an unavailable volume or protected with a password.
|
| I contacted my hosting companies tech support. The gentleman who replied was
| going to suggest that I uninstall and reinstall FP extensions (yes, they
| allow individuals to do that ^^), but he also said he had no issues using
| frontpage to connect. He then suggested that I try an uninstall/reinstall of
| FP2000 on my machine. So I did, but the error message remains.
|
| Also, I used to have http://www.roeszler.org listed in my Web Folders, but I
| can't seem to use that feature. "webfolders xp" is not listed in my
| Add/Remove programs now, and I can't seem to find an update, patch, or
| whatever to add that. BUT, the "Look in" box lists web folders as an option
| still.
|
| Can anyone help with this please?
|
| Chris Roeszler

Pumpkin

I think you need to talk to your host, maybe the permissions are messed up
because when I tried to surf there (the home page) I get prompted for a
password.

Oops. Fixed that one now, you should be able to view it without it asking
for a password. That's actually something I can control now :)

Unfortunately, this doesn't solve my problem of being able to open the web
in Frontpage.

Chris

Stefan B Rusynko

Can you browse to it in IE and use File Edit w/ FP?

--

"Pumpkin" <roeszler_at_cable_1_dot_net> wrote in message |
| | I think you need to talk to your host, maybe the permissions are messed up
| because when I tried to surf there (the home page) I get prompted for a
| password.
|

| Oops. Fixed that one now, you should be able to view it without it asking
| for a password. That's actually something I can control now :)
|
| Unfortunately, this doesn't solve my problem of being able to open the web
| in Frontpage.
|
| Chris

Pumpkin

Stefan B Rusynko said:
Can you browse to it in IE and use File Edit w/ FP?
Yes, I can do that. Unfortunately, it only allows me to edit files that
already exist on the server. When I try to create a new page, FrontPage
insists that the only location available to save is on my local hard drive.

Chris

Thomas A. Rowe

Have you contacted your host and ask them to run a check on the extensions and/or check the
permissions?

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Pumpkin

Thomas A. Rowe said:
Have you contacted your host and ask them to run a check on the extensions and/or check the
permissions?

Yes I have. I don't remember who I got my response from (I deleted the email
when I *thought* the problem was fixed), and they were able to login via
FrontPage just fine. Unfortunately, I don't know what version they used...
But, my ISP's tech support had no trouble.

Chris

Stefan B Rusynko

When you select File Edit w/ FP do you get a User login dialog, and after logging in see the whole site, not just a page
- if not you definitely have a permissions problem on the site

PS
Just because your host can log in (w/ their permissions), doesn't mean they have the permissions set for anyone else to log in

--

"Pumpkin" <roeszler_at_cable_1_dot_net> wrote in message | | > Can you browse to it in IE and use File Edit w/ FP?

| Yes, I can do that. Unfortunately, it only allows me to edit files that
| already exist on the server. When I try to create a new page, FrontPage
| insists that the only location available to save is on my local hard drive.
|
| Chris

Thomas A. Rowe

The problem with some ISP, is that they connect inside of their network, not from outside their
network so they can not really see problems.

What is the URL for you site?

Thomas A. Rowe said:
The problem with some ISP, is that they connect inside of their network, not from outside their
network so they can not really see problems.

What is the URL for you site?

http://www.roeszler.org/

Be warned - it's a personal site. I sometimes rant, and I don't censor
myself after the fact...

Chris

Pumpkin

Stefan B Rusynko said:
When you select File Edit w/ FP do you get a User login dialog, and after
logging in see the whole site, not just a page
- if not you definitely have a permissions problem on the site

PS
Just because your host can log in (w/ their permissions), doesn't mean
they have the permissions set for anyone else to log in

Yes, I do get the user/pass login dialog, and my entire web shows up after I
log in.

Chris

Stefan B Rusynko

Then if you can't save a page after opening it w/i the site, the site still has permissions problems