French Autotext entries word 2007

Northwoods

I was shown how to bring the autotext entries from the normal.dot in word
2003 to word 2007 but it didn't bring over the French entries.
Any idea how I can do that? It is the French formal salutations and greeting
that I use a lot as they are rather difficult to put together for someone who
isn't french.

Tony Jollans

As far as I know they are hard coded in Word and not automatically
extractable from English versions.

Tony Jollans

They're built into Word, Cindy. This is not a case of changing the UI
language, just the document text language.

Using your English or German Word (pre-2007), mark some text as French, or
Dutch, or Arabic, or Chinese, or whatever you fancy (well, maybe not quite
whatever you fancy but it seems to work for all major, and many minor,
languages), then with the cursor in that language, click on the big All
Entries button on the AutoText toolbar and you will get a menu of autotexts
in the chosen language.

You must do this in the UI - there is no VBA access to it and, because there
is no VBA access, there is no way to automate migrating them to 2007. I did
consider pulling some of them out manually and sticking them up on the web
for anybody that wanted them but (a) I don't know if there's enough demand
to warrant it (Microsoft have removed the feature after all) and (b) I
wouldn't know how to name them, particularly those in scripts I can't even
recognise. I am still pondering it.

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Tony,

As you mentioned there are a lot of languages in there in Word 2003 autotext salutations <g> and they don't rely on the matching
proofing tools being enabled, or even that those langauges are set to active editing languages in the Office proofing tools list.

While there may not be a direct VBA access method to that many languaged built in sleight-of-hand for Autotext Salutations/closing
<g> would it be possible to build on, for example, Jay Freedman's AutoText dumper, to first apply a language to an empty document,
then cycle through the available choices skipping the 'Normal' category or to walk the menu flyouts themselves? They could be
stored in a separate building block template under the appropriate language folder for Document Parts?

If I record a macro and insert one of the French language salutations that does show, by name, in the macro and is inserted in the
document, which is why I was thinking it would be possible to iterate them. There are a couple of MSKB references to the fact that
the only entries that appear as listed entries for salutations in the Autotext dialog are the English language ones, and deleting
all (but 1) doesn't affect the availability of the non-English ones :) The French ones even include the use of a StyleRef field
in a couple of the entries <g>

The entries appear to be in WWIntl.dll primarily, and that file didn't transition to Office 2007 with the establishment of the new
'language neutral architecture' and they don't seem to be in any of the newer XML/XSL/XSD file sets, even with the UI or Single
Language Packs, but I may have just missed them.

At least for Text Watermarks, MS added a language chooser in the 2007 dialog :)

=====================

--
Enjoy,
Tony >>

Bob Buckland ?:)
MS Office System Products MVP

Tony Jollans

Hi Bob,

I have not found any way to access them at all from VBA, and I have tried,
both in the past and, again, today; the flyouts seem to be dynamically
built. I can't say for certain that anything is or isn't possible, of
course, as almost everything is a matter of trial and error <g> I gather you
didn't try to run the macro you recorded; it will tell you the AutoText
doesn't exist.

I just had a quick glance at that dll and it wasn't immediately obvious
where the strings might be but I could have missed them in 750K of hex - I'm
sure I can find a better tool than a simple hex editor if I bother to look,
and will try later. If they could be stripped out of there, life would be
easier and, for something built-in with no customisation possible, this
would be a one-time operation for the world.

Even the English ones didn't make it to (English) 2007 so I wouldn't be
hopeful of finding other language versions.

I hadn't noticed that Language option on the watermarks. I like it and wish
it were more widespread - I guess consistency is too much to hope for.

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Tony,

Okay, it's mostly just a novelty at this point as far as Word 2007 is concerned, but wherever it is that Word pulls these 'other
language' AutoText entries from, (the ones don't appear in the AutoText Organizer) they're still in Word 2007 as well, but so far
using them sems to crash Word 2007 <g>.

In another discussion, Jay Freedman's 'outside the box' use of a Word field for an unconventional feature <g>, together with a
posting here today here asking about the old version letter Wizard and its preformatted letters and gallery samples; I went back to
try using those two bits of information to find the popup French Autotext entries in Word 2007.

So, anyway, here's what I've found so far.

1. Under Home=>Styles, click the Styles Launcher.

2. In the Styles pane, use [Manage Styles], and the 'Recommend' tab to locate 'Closing' style.

3. In Word 2007 'Closing' style is
- priority 99
-Hide until used
-linked style type
chang it to [Show], so that it appears in the Styles list.

4. Locate the Word 2007 provided template, 'EquityLetter.dotx', and create a new document from that template.

5. In the new version letters '[Type the Closing]' is a Word 2007 Content Control. In prior versions of Word it was an
{AutoTextList} field with a default value of 'Sincerely'. Right click on the content control and use 'Remove Content Control.

6. Use Insert=>Quick Parts=>Word Field=>AutoTextList, select the 'empty' paragraph and type the default value of 'Sincerely'.

7. Apply the 'Closing' style to the AutoTextList field.

8. Right click and you should see the Equity themed document parts gallery choices. These you can insert at that spot in the
document, although they don't appear to be particularly useful. (I've not dug deep enough yet to find out what triggers that list,
for while Equity is a Word theme, applying a different theme to the document doesn't change the list here).

9. Use Review=>Proofing=>Set Language and apply 'French(France)', [or Polish, etc.]

10. Again right click 'Sincerely' and you should get the prior version French language 'closing's. :)

When I select one it crashes Word, but when Word restarts and recovers the file, the entry is in the document and has a tooltiop
that says 'Click the right mouse button for a list of Closing text'.

Now, whether there's a way to 'walk' the list of entries that are offered from that AutoTextList (to turn them into 'real' Autotext
entries, for example), I think I'll leave to you more advanced VBA folks :)

BTW, formatting 'Sincerely' with Swahili as a language will give the prior version English list. Formatting with English U.S. or
English U.K., gives you the Word 2007 building blocks ;)

==================
<<"Tony Jollans" <My forename at my surname dot com> wrote in message Hi Bob,

[...]

Remarkable! Thank you, Bob.

It didn't quite go as per your description but I do see the foreign
Autotexts, I will have to dig a bit further on this.

I doubt the values are available to VBA - they never were before - but if
they're in the product, it may be possible to devise a slightly easier way
to access them through the UI.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Bob Buckland ?:-) said:
[...]

:)

[...]

I certainly haven't got to the bottom of this but it's not as convoluted as
you describe. It would be nice if someone could confirm this. (Word 2007 -
I'm on Vista if it matters)

In a new document, Select All and set the language to one other than the
language of your user interface. It's not essential but it's easiest to use
a language you can type without needing to change anything else - I chose
French.

Press Ctrl+F9 and enter "AutoTextList France" (without the quotes). It is
best if the second word is *not* a spelling error in the chosen language.

Select All and change the style to "Closing". Press Ctrl+Shift+S to get the
Apply Styles Pane, type in "Closing" and press Apply is as easy as any way.
Press F9 to update the Field.

Now right click on the visible word - France, for me - and, assuming you
don't have a spelling error to deal with first, you will get the old
language autotexts; choose one of them.

Microsoft Office has stopped working:
=> Check online for a solution and restart the program
=> Restart the program
=> Debug the program

Choose either of the first two options and Word will restart. Your chosen
AutoText will have been inserted and you can carry on working.

This is hardly an ideal way to get these things <g> but, as you say, they
*are* in the product :)

btw - I don't have Swahili as an available language.
--
Enjoy,
Tony