Windows XP Freeserve Broadband problems

Reaction score
:)

Thank god its working like it should do :)

If u could tell me how to set it up to run automatically at start up that would great

Now im may sound ungreatful but have we got to do this just to get our broadband connections working properly. They should work with out all this hassle.

I no im sounding ungreatful but i want it to work with out haveing to ping this and that

Sorry to piss on ur bonfire

I will live with it but, but i would like a proper solution

dont be mad i am happy

RyDan

Reaction score
OK.
Note the 2 IP addresses, as before.
Open a DOS Command Prompt and key:
edit ping1.bat then hit enter and key
ping -t 62.25.204.130 or whatever your IP then click on file, then save, then exit.
You have now created ping1.bat
Repeat this to create ping2/3/4/5/6.bat so 1-3 will have the first IP address and 4 - 6 will have your second IP address.
You now have to drag/drop these 6 files from their current location into your startup folder which should be found at start menu/programs/Startup.
When you restart your PC the 6 DOS command Prompt windows will open and the PINGs will start. The PINGs will all fail until you make your Broadband connection then they will start to work and your web download speed will be good.
I am aware that this is ONLY a workaround but it has been a great learning experience and it does work! I will now contact Freeserve Support with our findings.
Just one thing. What is your Postcode? What a coincidence if we are suffering this problem in the same locality!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm. For what it's worth, I'm using Zen and I get no problems linking to that page, loads up real quick. I'm in SE London.

Perhaps consider changing ISP?

Zen is £27.99 pcm, no minimum contract. That is, you can sign up for one month only if you like, none of that 12 month minimum tosh.

gaming is really excellent as well.

Sorry, I know that's of no realistic practical help to you, but thought I'd mention it anyhow.

Reaction score
RyDan
No clue there as I live in Essex.
Before I call freeserve would you let me know the 2 IP addresses that you are now pinging.

Floppybootstomp
Must seem odd that we have stuck with Freeserve. For my part they have been adamant that there is not a problem and I want to prove them wrong. Also I have a year's contract with them but we shall see how binding that is in the near future.

Reaction score

Well last night i set the ping stuff up, and as i said before it work great

Well i was going to do the automated ping but i decided to see if it would work fast with out doin all that ping stuff, any way ive been on the net a couple of times today, and also turn my computer off, and on and it seems to be working, for the time been, but if it does stop working like it should do then i will automate it

but for the time been its working with out the pinging :)

So im quite happy (but for how long)

RyDan

Reaction score
Hi again

Right just been surfing tonight and what i said before is not right now well not fully lol

it seems to be working better but i does still have a few slow point ever so often. but its much better with the pinging

let u not what happens over the next few weeks

RyDan

Reaction score
Update

Well i decided to format my hard drive the other day to see if that would make any differences

no luck doing it that way, but it did sort out a few problems i had with my computer so i didnt mind formatting

Just let u no 25 november the hole of freeserve wasnt working i think because i could bearly do anything, and my mate said the same thing

Also i try it today 26 in the morning and my connection was runing really fast, like it should run (that was with out pinging ip)

So do u thing our problem is something to do with so many people been on the phone, in our areas, that it slows us down or something ?

let me no how ur getting on

RyDAn

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Just let u no 25 november the hole of freeserve wasnt working i think because i could bearly do anything, and my mate said the same thing
One of the "backbone" servers was down ... took 'em a day to fix it, you were not alone. ;)

Reaction score
Hi RyDan
I am still using the PINGS (now minimised at Startup) for a fast service. Freeserve Technical Support are showing an interest at last. They have all the facts and I am waiting for them to Email me. Will keep you posted.

Reaction score
I have tried WITHOUT Pings this morning and everything is OK? I have had nothing from Freeserve yet so don't know why. Will keep Pings off and see how it goes for a couple of days.

Reaction score
hi

Hi im glad freeserve has taken notice of our problem and hopefully they will be able to give us a perment solution, but for the time been i dont mind using the pings idea.

Just to let u no i tryed using my connection with out the pings and it worked without it BUT.

In the morning like now 11.32 TUES im not running the pings and it works fine but if i dont use them in the night it slow, also i decided to see what ip address i was using in the morning and they are different ones to the two i use in the night, so i thing i something to do with them ip, and the amount of people using our telephone exchange, or something like that

anyway hope to hear from u soon

RyDan

ps I really appreciate u helping me out, and contacting freeserve, hopefully we can get this pproblem sorted

Reaction score
Hi Rydan
I have kept the PINGs off since 5th December and everything is running as it should. Still nothing from Freeserve. I have, though, found someone on the Freeserve Help Newsgroup who has had exactly the same problem as us. His problem appears to have cleared about the same time as mine. We are keeping in touch in case it all goes pear shaped again.

Reaction score
Hi

After ur last post i decided to try run my connection without the pings, and it seems to be working fine

which is good, so it looks like freeserve has done something , i think

Hopefully it will stay fine i'll let u no

RyDan

Reaction score
I am still working fine without PINGs. So Freeserve have done 'something'??? I got an EMail from Technical Support which again displayed their complete lack of both technical and support expertise.
Afraid that I just cannot be bothered with them any more. I will see out the 12 months of my contract and then look around for another Broadband supplier.
At least we have a fix if it does 'go slow' again.
Goodbye, Goodluck and Merry Xmas to all..

Reaction score

Just to let u no mine connection is still working fine

Hope it keeps on working fast

Happy xmas

RyDan

Reaction score
Hi, im on Freeserve Broadband too, but my problem is that the DNS server's seem to take like 2days before i can access them, has anyone got the same problem.

Reaction score
Hi gloverk
Slow DNS was a symptom of my problem.
Have you tried:
1) Setting up some PINGs as per our problem?
2) Altering the DNS Servers in TCP/IP settings?

Ask a Question