Free PC fax?

Nicetameetya

I'm currently running Cheyenne Bitware (which came bundled with an old
modem a few years ago). The Bitware Fax works fine receiving
multiple-pages or sending a single page, but not so well doing
anything more demanding, like attaching an additional page.

What I'd like to find is a free PC fax programme that will allow me to
attach pages, documents and image files. My OS: W2KP. I've already
tried Impact ColorFax Lite (freeware), but it doesn't have manual
receive - which is crucial. Thanks.

John Jay Smith

doesnt that app add a FAX printer? Check your printers.. if you see a fax
among them
then all you have to do is this:

write everything you want, or open an existing document> select print>
choose the fax printer.. and a window will pop up asking you
for phone number etc...

tell me if this helps

John Corliss

Nicetameetya said:
I'm currently running Cheyenne Bitware (which came bundled with an old
modem a few years ago). The Bitware Fax works fine receiving
multiple-pages or sending a single page, but not so well doing
anything more demanding, like attaching an additional page.

What I'd like to find is a free PC fax programme that will allow me to
attach pages, documents and image files. My OS: W2KP. I've already
tried Impact ColorFax Lite (freeware), but it doesn't have manual
receive - which is crucial. Thanks.

What OS and version are you using?

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)

Nicetameetya

Changed things around because top posting is always confusing:
doesnt that app add a FAX printer? Check your printers.. if you see a fax
among them
then all you have to do is this:

write everything you want, or open an existing document> select print>
choose the fax printer.. and a window will pop up asking you
for phone number etc...

tell me if this helps

Thanks, but I'm not sure what/which "app" you're referring to. If it's
Windows fax, then, Yes, it's there, along with my HP printer and my
Bitware Fax driver. But not only does the Windows Fax take a HUGE
amount of memory to run (even in the background), like so many Windows
apps, it is not very efficient or user friendly. It is also impossible
to get the bloody thing to stop answering the phone every time it
rings unless I reboot my computer.

As previously stated, Bitware works fine receiving multi-page faxes
and sending single page faxes. To send, all I do is choose the Bitware
printer driver and follow the prompts. But it doesn't work when I try
to attach other pages or files from other applications.

What I need is a PC fax that easily sends multi-page faxes (with
attached files) and has a manual receive option. Example: send a
document file from Word with an image file from a scanned document, or
a fax cover sheet from a WP application with a webpage from the
Internet.

Steve H

Changed things around because top posting is always confusing:

Thanks, but I'm not sure what/which "app" you're referring to. If it's
Windows fax, then, Yes, it's there, along with my HP printer and my
Bitware Fax driver. But not only does the Windows Fax take a HUGE
amount of memory to run (even in the background), like so many Windows
apps, it is not very efficient or user friendly. It is also impossible
to get the bloody thing to stop answering the phone every time it
rings unless I reboot my computer.

Check the fax setup options panel - there's a checkbox to disable fax
from answering calls.
To manually receive a fax you just run the fax program when the phone
rings and press the 'Answer' button

John Corliss

Nicetameetya said:

There aren't a lot of options as far as freeware FAX programs out there.
In fact, the Pricelessware page doesn't list any. There used to be a
version of Winfax Lite available, but I don't think that's the case any
longer. Even SOS doesn't have an active link to it now. However, he does
have "Stupid FAX" listed here:

http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/Apps2.html

but I think you're looking for more.

Other than that, there is the dreaded "Callcenter":

http://www.v3inc.com/freecc.htm

which may not be freeware and may have limitations you won't accept (I
don't know, haven't used it.)

Sorry I can't be of more help. FAX programs fall right in there with
Truetype font editors IMO. There just isn't any good freeware in that
category.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)
for instance. No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware,
demoware, nagware, PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited
software, trialware, viruses or warez for me, please.

John Jay Smith

combine the documents using copy > paste or copy > paste special.

You wont find a better freeware ...

Susan Bugher

John said:
There aren't a lot of options as far as freeware FAX programs out there.
In fact, the Pricelessware page doesn't list any. There used to be a
version of Winfax Lite available, but I don't think that's the case any
longer. Even SOS doesn't have an active link to it now. However, he does
have "Stupid FAX" listed here:

http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/Apps2.html

His Winfax Lite DL link on that page is working here. Perhaps a
momentary glitch?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Corliss

Susan said:
His Winfax Lite DL link on that page is working here. Perhaps a
momentary glitch?

I did a search and came up with nothing. That was because he has it
spelled "Win Fax" instead of "Winfax". According to Symantec, the latter
spelling is correct.

It *was* on that page too though, and you're right... the link works.

I've never used the program (don't have a fax modem installed) but I've
heard that it was one of the few programs that actually did have Y2K
problems.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)
for instance. No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware,
demoware, nagware, PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited
software, trialware, viruses or warez for me, please.

AAH

Bitware will add
"Bitware Fax Driver"
to you printers list.

I'm currently running Cheyenne Bitware (which came bundled with an old
modem a few years ago). The Bitware Fax works fine receiving
multiple-pages or sending a single page, but not so well doing
anything more demanding, like attaching an additional page.

What I'd like to find is a free PC fax programme that will allow me to
attach pages, documents and image files. My OS: W2KP. I've already
tried Impact ColorFax Lite (freeware), but it doesn't have manual
receive - which is crucial. Thanks.

Nicetameetya

His Winfax Lite DL link on that page is working here. Perhaps a
momentary glitch?

Susan

Thanks, Susan. I used to have WinFax Lite but had to stop using it
when I changed my OS from (cringe) WME to W2KPro. I've just downloaded
and installed it again using the link you provided and encountered the
same problem: my OS doesn't recognise it (doesn't list it as a printer
driver).

What I've found is that it's possible to send an attached image file
(ie: *.pdf) as a fax directly from WinFax Lite but not directly from
another application, such as Word. It also has a manual receive
option. But, overall, it doesn't work as well with my OS as Cheyenne
Bitware at this point. But it was worth trying out ...

Nicetameetya

Bitware will add
"Bitware Fax Driver"
to you printers list.

It already has. The problem I have with Bitware is that, even though I
can attach another file (an image file from a document scan) as an
additional page to the fax I want to send, it doesn't actually work.
The first page goes through just fine, but the second page (the *.tif
or *.jpg or *.bmp, etc) doesn't. I've tried all sorts of combinations,
but it just doesn't send that second page.

Al Klein

What I've found is that it's possible to send an attached image file
(ie: *.pdf) as a fax directly from WinFax Lite but not directly from
another application, such as Word.

How, in Word, do you fax an attached image? You can insert it, but
"attach" it? How?

Eric

Nicetameetya said:
What I need is a PC fax that easily sends multi-page faxes (with
attached files) and has a manual receive option. Example: send a
document file from Word with an image file from a scanned document, or
a fax cover sheet from a WP application with a webpage from the
Internet.

I do this all the time, the trick it to "collect" all your different
documents first into a pdf and then fax the pdf.

use FreePDFxp <http://www.shbox.de/>. It's free and has the "add to
next" option you'll need. Open Word print to PDF with "add to next,"
do the same with your scanner, do the same with whatever else you want,
then tell it to save the PDF on the last print. You'll end up with a
single file with all of the items. Open that and print the whole thing
to fax.

I fax stuff for my wife with cover sheets from one program, reports
written in OpenOffice, and scanned authorization sheets from Irfanfiew.