Free EZArmor

Kerry Liles

just downloaded and installed this on a test machine... the AV part is the
familiar CA EZAntivirus, but the firewall part is a repackaged ZoneAlarm
that has a sort of custom installer and slightly modified UI (but is the
same old, same old ZA ... PITA to use) IMHO

--

===============================
Note: reply-to: and from: email address

Heather

Kerry Liles said:
just downloaded and installed this on a test machine... the AV part is the
familiar CA EZAntivirus, but the firewall part is a repackaged ZoneAlarm
that has a sort of custom installer and slightly modified UI (but is the
same old, same old ZA ... PITA to use) IMHO
Thanks for the info. I use ZA and EZ Trust.......I pay and you got them
for free.....hmmm. I think I will have a word with CA about this, grin.

Actually, I have used EZ Trust since the days it was InoculateIT PE. I
like it and it does the job......not a lot of bells and whistles, but I
don't want all that bloatware. Costs me $10 US to renew every year,
which is just fine.

For any current users out there, there is a new update (6.7.1.0) you can
download......I usually manually download the defs when I first come on,
but I let it do it automatically today......zipped by in a flash!!

Heather

Nick FitzGerald

Heather said:
Thanks for the info. I use ZA and EZ Trust.......I pay and you got them
for free.....hmmm. I think I will have a word with CA about this, grin.

As I understand it (from reading the relevant web pages) the "free" offer
is open until 30 June 2004. Thus, if your subscription is due to run out
before then, wait until it does then fill in the forms and d/l the "next
12 months is free" version. If you re-subbed after 30 June this year,
keep using that until 30 June 2004 and then take up the free offer.

Of course, for current EZ AntiVirus users not already using a personal
firewall, you may be tempted to get the free offer now to add a PFW.

(And yes, I see that the seems open to existing EZ users (tho I haven't
tried to fill in the form and d/l EZ Armor yet, so...) -- above is a
suggestion for getting the most value from both an existing _paid for_
annual update subscription _AND_ from the new free offer...)

Heather

Nick FitzGerald said:
grin.

As I understand it (from reading the relevant web pages) the "free" offer
is open until 30 June 2004. Thus, if your subscription is due to run out
before then, wait until it does then fill in the forms and d/l the "next
12 months is free" version. If you re-subbed after 30 June this year,
keep using that until 30 June 2004 and then take up the free offer.

Of course, for current EZ AntiVirus users not already using a personal
firewall, you may be tempted to get the free offer now to add a PFW.

(And yes, I see that the seems open to existing EZ users (tho I haven't
tried to fill in the form and d/l EZ Armor yet, so...) -- above is a
suggestion for getting the most value from both an existing _paid for_
annual update subscription _AND_ from the new free offer...)
Hi Nick.........unfortunately, in the fine print, it is open to new
users only. But I think a mild letter of complaint is in
order......what the heck, they can only say no. :cool:) (I renewed in
early September, btw)

Heather

Heather

Bob said:
Heather,
Has it worked well for you? Has it caught much?
How is it on resources?

Low on resources. Works well the odd time that I allow it to catch a
virus, grin. All emails with attachments go into a special folder, for
instance.

I use WinME and don't want viruses in my Restore Folder, so use 'safe
hex' and then EZ Trust as a back up. Plus F-Prot for DOS has been on
here for 6 or 7 years as a 'manual' backup.

And as I run a genealogy List with a lot of very naive members, when a
new virus hits, I get quite a number of them. But I think I have most
of them whipped into shape!!

Heather

Heather

Oops........just read VB tests and EZ Trust failed. Glad I use 'safe
hex' in that case......grin. But I don't pay attention to these tests
particularly as all of them fail at some time or another.

Heather

Heather

Heather said:
run
Hi Nick.........unfortunately, in the fine print, it is open to new
users only. But I think a mild letter of complaint is in
order......what the heck, they can only say no. :cool:) (I renewed in
early September, btw)

However.......that being said, I took a better look at the fine print,
and I have never used the firewall aspect of this, so that would make me
a new customer, legally speaking. Worth a try.

Heather

in2minds

thought I would give this a go as mcafee went yesterday...

downloaded ezarmor, installed it but only the antivirus part installed,
there's no hint of a firewall in fact the firewall folder is empty.

any ideas ?

btw, I already have ZA installed but it wasn't running.

Les

Bart Bailey

In
However.......that being said, I took a better look at the fine print,
and I have never used the firewall aspect of this, so that would make me
a new customer, legally speaking. Worth a try.

I used to use the eTrust EZ Firewall, but it allowed responses to ping
requests, and if you inherit an IP (dynamic) that was recently listed on
an edonkey or kazaa server, you're gonna get hammered.
Zone Alarm Free v3.7.211 is my favorite now,
and If I could get Kerio v2.1.5 to stabilize,
it would be a good choice too.

optikl

Heather said:
Hi Nick.........unfortunately, in the fine print, it is open to new
users only.

I think the intent is to "promote" future sales to those who are not current
customers. Most promotions (of any kind) I've seen are NOT open to current
customers or to family members of employees.

Kerry Liles

Yes, I already own EZantivirus and I too used to use the free version
InnoculateIT etc. I think it works well and seems to be kept up to date in a
very timely manner. CA's tech support is mostly useless - other than
spouting marketing drivel (although in fairness, I have only complained
twice - once about the inability to turn off the splash screen and when they
'accidentally' removed the ability to autodownload without manual
confirmation - the latter problem was rectified in a subsequent build.

I don't much like ZA as a firewall, although it appears to have gotten
better. I don't like the fact that one cannot edit the rules directly and
really see what rules are in effect...

regards.

Kerry Liles

I had an existing login at CA (because I own EZ-AV) and if you hit the link
for an existing customer it scarfs up all your current info etc. and then
let me download it and install it...

Heather

Bart Bailey said:
requests, and if you inherit an IP (dynamic) that was recently listed on
an edonkey or kazaa server, you're gonna get hammered.
Zone Alarm Free v3.7.211 is my favorite now,
and If I could get Kerio v2.1.5 to stabilize,
it would be a good choice too.

I stick to 2.6.362 in Zone Alarm. It was another fellow and me (says
she modestly, grin) that discovered that any #3 version of ZA stopped
WinME from making automatic Restore Points about Aug. of 2002. ZA
phoned Heirloom in Sept of 2002 and said they were aware of it and would
have it fixed in 3 months.....HAH!!

None of the 3 versions had the fix.......apparently the 4.xxx ones do.
I may update to that, but this one works fine. And if the EZ one is
simply ZA with a new face, then there is no point in that because I
wouldn't know which version I was getting.......want to bet it would be
an older one??

Now I hope the above made sense coz I haven't had my coffee yet.........

Cheers.....Heather

Bob

Thank you Heather. ;-)

Heather said:
Low on resources. Works well the odd time that I allow it to catch a
virus, grin. All emails with attachments go into a special folder, for
instance.

I use WinME and don't want viruses in my Restore Folder, so use 'safe
hex' and then EZ Trust as a back up. Plus F-Prot for DOS has been on
here for 6 or 7 years as a 'manual' backup.

And as I run a genealogy List with a lot of very naive members, when a
new virus hits, I get quite a number of them. But I think I have most
of them whipped into shape!!

Heather

BoB

just downloaded and installed this on a test machine... the AV part is the
familiar CA EZAntivirus, but the firewall part is a repackaged ZoneAlarm
that has a sort of custom installer and slightly modified UI (but is the
same old, same old ZA ... PITA to use) IMHO

I dumped ZA a few years ago and switched to Kerio. Since I like
EZ AV, have used it since IPE days, I was tempted until I learned
the EZ FW is actually ZA. Oh well, I really didn't need it anyway.
It was a real bear getting all the bits and pieces of ZA out of
my machine as I recall. Anyone installing the EZ FW should monitor
the install with InControl5 in case they change their mind someday
and want to verify if the uninstall was clean or not.

BoB
For the duration of Swen, my address is inoperative.

optikl

Heather said:
To totally uninstall Zone Alarm, print out the instructions that you
find on this part of the website and ensure that you remove all the
files that are on there. I do this every time I change versions or
upgrade Zone Alarm.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...OnVgjKEWqN1fr!-2032871139!173109957!7511!7512
Geeze...This thing is as troublesome to remove as Symantec's consumer
products. I installed a trial version on one of my laptops. When I removed
it, I found I had to deal with the task of cleaning up all the debris it
left behind, before I could install something other. Talk about picking
flyshit out of pepper...