Can I import 2003 .xlb definitions into 2010?

Clif McIrvin

Self-taught 2003 user now in 2010 due to company switch.
2003 removed before 2010 installed (if I beg enough I might be able to
get a dual installation)

Over time I had created a number of custom toolbars using the UI.

Now I would like to bring that old toolbar functionality over to 2010. I
understand that if I leave things the same the command buttons will show
up in the addins tab; I can live with that.

Is there a way to extract or import the old toolbar definitions from the
..xlb file?

From what I have read, I'm not certain I want to try and learn how to
customize the ribbon; at least what I've read so far is quite
intimidating.

--
Clif McIrvin

Change nomail.afraid.org to gmail.com to reply by email.

Jim Cone

You can kind of create the old style (classic) menus in xl2007 +.
John Walkenbach provides a start here...
http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/blog/posted_old_style_menus_in_excel_2007/

You might want to download (free trial of) my commercial add-in "Extras for Excel" to see what I came up with.
It is done entirely with VBA but it wasn't easy... http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Clif McIrvin" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Self-taught 2003 user now in 2010 due to company switch.
2003 removed before 2010 installed (if I beg enough I might be able to
get a dual installation)

Over time I had created a number of custom toolbars using the UI.
Now I would like to bring that old toolbar functionality over to 2010. I
understand that if I leave things the same the command buttons will show
up in the addins tab; I can live with that.

Is there a way to extract or import the old toolbar definitions from the
..xlb file?

From what I have read, I'm not certain I want to try and learn how to
customize the ribbon; at least what I've read so far is quite
intimidating.
--
Clif McIrvin

Change nomail.afraid.org to gmail.com to reply by email.

Clif McIrvin

Thanks, Jim. I've done a fair amount of reading over the last two
days -- John's info was part of that -- and there's a lot of info about
building Ribbon customizations through VBA, but I've found *nothing*
about using VBA to manipulate custom groups built through the UI ...
which is what I did in 2003.

What I'm attempting to do is preserve my macro functionality -- setting
and clearing the .Visible property, for instance.

If I could bring my old toolbars over as custom groups that would be
really cool, but I can re-build them by hand.

From what I'm reading, I cannot do what I want -- If I create custom
groups through code instead of the user interface then I can manipulate
them ... but since I don't have time to devote to the learning curve it
looks like I'm going to lose some keystroke / mouse-click saving
functionality.

Oh, well.

Clif

wrote in message
Self-taught 2003 user now in 2010 due to company switch.
2003 removed before 2010 installed (if I beg enough I might be able to
get a dual installation)

Over time I had created a number of custom toolbars using the UI.
Now I would like to bring that old toolbar functionality over to 2010.
understand that if I leave things the same the command buttons will
show
up in the addins tab; I can live with that.

Is there a way to extract or import the old toolbar definitions from
the
.xlb file?

From what I have read, I'm not certain I want to try and learn how to