Free Broadband

Reaction score
i love talk talk

Rush said:
Carphone warehouse is expected this week to launch free broadband if you subscribe to their talk talk phone service ?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/27/carphone_broadband/
Well they realise to keep us loyal customer's they need to offer something special to us all, yippee free broadband:cool: :D
nod.gif
But back to reality if the service is as good as virgins, ie speed at 2MB we would save £215 a year:D Oh and we only became customers when talk talk bought our phone provider last year:thumb:

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I've just checked up on this Phone Service + Free Broadband offer on their site with my phone number and postcode, and I can get all inclusive anytime Local and National Calls, International calls to up to 28 countries inc. USA, EU, Aus & NZ, plus up to 8meg broadband ALL for £20.99 a month :cool:

They estimate I can have the phone service up and running in 3 weeks, and the broadband installation by 6th July.

£20.99 seems a good deal to me, bearing in mind I'm currently paying £17.99 alone for 4 meg broadband with Telewest.

Anyone here have any thoughts on this, good or bad?

Reaction score
undecided

I'm a talk talk customer and yes it looks good offer, however i'm staying with virgin for the time being though. My concern is it may go the way of liberty surf & comet ie: so many people sign up for it, they cant cope and speeds drop. The good thing coming from it is that isp's will soon drop their prices to follow talk talks lead.

Talk talk say that they could grown their customer base from 750,000 customers to possibly 5 million in a year, but can their current infrastructure cope with the demand this will put on their phone lines. Thats one reason i'm waiting to see what happens.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My dad is currently with Talk Talk and he loves it, so I'm probably going to go with this deal too when I move flat in the next couple of months. Seems fast and the calls are much cheaper, I can't really see where the drawback is yet. I guess its just to draw everyone in from BT like Freeserve did all those years back.

I've stuck an advert up on the site (at the top) as the other broadband ones got a positive response, much better than those fastclick adverts at least!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I honestly can't see that deal lasting....something will have to give...and as they say you don't get something for nothing in this world....:nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What limits do they have? There's always a catch. Minimum contract time?

Normal rate phone calls to USA and elsewhere sound attractive though.

And how come it takes til July to set this thing up? That is wrong.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
What limits do they have? There's always a catch. Minimum contract time?

Normal rate phone calls to USA and elsewhere sound attractive though.

And how come it takes til July to set this thing up? That is wrong.
The limit is 40GB usage a month, with a minimum contract time of 18 months.

I believe it takes til 6th July because they are still installing their own equipment at the BT exchanges.

Reaction score
Upload speed is?

Put it in comparison with NTL

10MB conn gives 1.2MB (ish) Peek DL

60KB UL PATHETIC!

1/20th standard DL/UL ratio comparisons

I wonder if its worth peeps getting shut of NTL and going back to BT lines for those prices?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
The limit is 40GB usage a month, with a minimum contract time of 18 months.

I believe it takes til 6th July because they are still installing their own equipment at the BT exchanges.

Yup, looked into this myself and 40GB is a soft limit - but can't be regularly exceeded. Fine for most, but probably means I can't go for this as the site backup is 4GB every week alone. :user:

The July waiting time is for the Local Loop Unbundling something or other :blush:

Wouldn't surprise me if other broadband companies offer some good LLU deals too :D

Ask a Question