Framework 3.5 WSUS availability

Ken Lemieux

Its been 3 months since I last asked this question and little, nay no,
information is avialable.

My application is dependant upon features found in Framework 3,5 and its
deployment is partially targeted to medium size organizations. So I'll ask
again:

Does anyone have a date or idea when .NET Framework 3.5 will be available for
WSUS updates?

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Kenneth,

Yes, I've ever seen your previous thread about this question. Actually,
based on my discussion with some WSUS engineers, so far there hasn't any
plan for .NET framework 3.5 and it is not likely that the entire .NET
framework 3.5 runtime will be included as WSUS update component. Generally
only service pack or security patchs will be included(such as .NET 1.1 SP1
, .NET 2.0 SP1....).

BTW, have you tried posting in some WSS specific newsgroup or community
forum for some ideas?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/topics/sus.mspx

http://www.wsus.info/forums/

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your input Mike,

So far I haven't got definite confirm. It depends on the WSUS team's update
plan & schedule. I'll try help collecting more information on this though
it may not be quite efficient from .NET development support group.

-=-------------------------
Subject: Re: Framework 3.5 WSUS availability
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 18:16:40 -0600

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi All,

After some further contacting with the product team, so far it is confirmed
there are noplans to release .Netfx 3.5 to WU.

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 02:00:21 GMT

Andreas

Oh my, that was not a very good answer! No reason at all? No other best
practices for deploying?

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 02:00:21 GMT
Thanks for your input Mike,

So far I haven't got definite confirm. It depends on the WSUS team's update
plan & schedule. I'll try help collecting more information on this though
it may not be quite efficient from .NET development support group.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

-=-------------------------

ChrisN

So we can use WSUS to deploy .net 2.0, .net 3.0, silverlight and all their
updates but no plans for .net 3.5? This doesnt make sense!

Please, tell us why?

Im really just trying to find a strait forward, standardized way to deploy
all versions of .net and their patches. I dont want to use WSUS for some and
group policys for others.

Thank you,

Chris

Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 18:16:40 -0600

Why not? Framework 1.1 and 2.0 as well as the service packs are available
via WSUS.

Mike Ober.

Hi Kenneth,

Yes, I've ever seen your previous thread about this question. Actually,
based on my discussion with some WSUS engineers, so far there hasn't any
plan for .NET framework 3.5 and it is not likely that the entire .NET
framework 3.5 runtime will be included as WSUS update component.
Generally
only service pack or security patchs will be included(such as .NET 1.1
SP1
, .NET 2.0 SP1....).

BTW, have you tried posting in some WSS specific newsgroup or community
forum for some ideas?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/topics/sus.mspx

http://www.wsus.info/forums/

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you.
Please
(e-mail address removed).

Get

Mark Harmon

I'm also wondering why .NET 3.5 won't be included in WSUS since it adds quite
a bit of new functionality to the framework. Our company, to some extent,
basis what version of .NET we can use for our application on what is pushed
out through WSUS. I'd be suprised if we are the only one. Is there some
problem with .NET 3.5 framework installs that prevents it from being
delivered over WSUS? Should we just wait for .NET 4.0? Additional information
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Harmon
Decade Software Company, LLC

Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 18:16:40 -0600

[...]

Sleestaks

..net 3.5 sp1 now available on WSUS as of today 1-27-09. I was just needing it
today myself. Ran a manual sync and it was there. Now let’s hope XP SP3
machines detect it. Unlike .net 3 sp1